By smoothies14 - 06/11/2015 17:29 - United States - Weatherford

Today, I was studying on a bench outside my dorm when the leg snapped. I decided to do the right thing and let administration know what happened. After assuring me it wasn't my fault, and having me fill out an incident report, they billed me $400. I can't enroll for next semester until I pay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 446
You deserved it 2 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At least you did the right thing, most people would have walked away and pretended that they had no clue what happened... FYL for you having to pay for something that may or may not have been your fault

singlwforlife 22

That's the politics of college for you! I'm sorry, OP, you should fight that. I know my college has ways to fight unjust fines. I'm sure yours does too.

Comments

in the words of Cutting Crew "should've walked away"

Well, I think you learned a valuable lesson about honesty

And they wonder why people walk away from things like this and don't say anything

Contact the administration again. Tell them why you shouldn't have to pay it.

theres campus court for a reason. fight that fine in court.

Hey OP here. This actually happened two years ago. It wasn't my fault and I wasn't hurt. I told the RA at the front desk, who was cool about it, but the people above her at residence life just wanted someone to pay. They didn't know me or care. I had the money and I didn't think it was worth my time or frustration to fight so I paid. I'm still very bitter about it. They didn't even replace the stupid bench. I want to be clear, though: I love my school. Residence life are the blood-sucking bastards. I would've moved out of the dorms after that, but the school covers the cost because of my ACT score. I learned my lessons about honesty and trust.

You know, that's still probably within the limit for small claims court. Not sure about your state, but if it still bothers you look into it. If resident services is that shitty, they deserve the shame that a claim like this will kick up. And $400 is still a LOT of money to just let go if you don't have to. You can always donate it to a good cause who could really use it if you aren't hurting for it.

It's probably within the statute of limitations to sue them for negligence.

The problem is that it still isn't worth my time or effort to get the money back. More importantly though, if I was to sue just to make them look bad and it did happen to get enough attention, it would reflect poorly on the school and the school only. The way the media portrays events like this is by simplifying so simple viewers understand and stoking the flames to make it more interesting. The title would be something like "School's Neglect Leads to Near Injury and Unjust Fine." Well sort of anyway. I'm no media writer, but you get the idea.

you should get your parents involved.

That sucks!!! Hope you appealed to the Dean of your college