By GraceWaldorf93 - 03/12/2015 16:45 - Belize - Belize City

Today, I was getting my picture taken with my mom and grandma for a portrait. I said it was going to be beautiful when it was done, with three generations of our family in it. My grandma said that would be true, if I weren't adopted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 942
You deserved it 1 185

GraceWaldorf93 tells us more.

Hi guys! OP here :) Well, after a long talk with my parents, turns out I am adopted. It certainly came as a shock to me because my grandma (yup, same one) spoils me to this day. I am 22 years old and I am the only adopted grandchild and am yet my grandma's favorite (I'm not even kidding!). I gave her her first great-grandchild and she loves him more than life itself. Granted, I would have preferred to have found out another way, but it doesn't affect me at all. Thank you for the nice comments!

Top comments

I'm hoping your grandma is a little senile or something, but the thing about older generations is they have some really old fashioned attitudes. Don't think for a moment it means she, or your mum, or anyone else love and value you less because you were adopted. I hope your picture is a fantastic memory for you

I hope you already knew you were adopted!

Comments

Maybe granny is joking, if not, who cares? I'm sure your adoptive parents love you all the same for it!

She sounds like the crotchety old hag type. Let it go, OP. Either way, it doesn't matter. Your parents seem to love you like one of their own, and that's all you need.

Le_ponderer 14

OP, it was your parents decision to adopt you not your grandma's. As long as they have loved you and raised you, you are their kid (genetics aside). You will carry on their legacy and value system. Your grandma got a case of mouth-loose, as old people tend to do when they lose their inhibition. Do not let this information define you. Keep showing love to your family and don't hold it against grannie either, she might have meant no harm.

That's so horrible. My mom looks negatively on adopted children, and sometimes uses "You're adopted" as an insult. I want to adopt when I'm old enough to have children, and I'm so afraid that their feelings will be hurt.

Surprise! It's still true though op. Just because you aren't blood doesn't mean you aren't family.

Ahhh grandmas! Gotta love em! Never knew mine, but I'm sure she'd be just as silly and hopefully not as obnoxious. Of course, if my grandma would have lived to make such a joke, she'd actually be right.

that's awful i want to adopt some kids because i want to be a mom and kids need a good home

never mind your grandma, its still 3 generations :) there's much more to family than genetics

Why does this remind me of The Simpsons with grandpa being a bitch to the kids