This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By beffnytutt - 10/09/2016 19:17 - United States - Texarkana

Today, I've been searching for a job after moving from Kansas to Texas, to afford my son's formula that is $63 per can. I got a call about a job that pays well and I'd really enjoy.. Too bad it's my old job from Kansas. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 613
You deserved it 214

Top comments

Why did you move without having secured a job in the new location? And since you have a child with such needs to think of hopefully you saved up at least a 6 month living amount before you jumped ship at your old job. If not it's not a fyl , its a fyl for your kid because they have an irresponsible parent who they depend on who didn't plan ahead. That may sound harsh but I have no sympathy for ppl who play the "my kids needy and I have options just not the option I really really want" or for ppl who seem to not prepare adequately especially when a child is involved.

$63 for a can of formula? I hope that's a typo. FYL

Comments

$63 for a can of formula? I hope that's a typo. FYL

her son probably has an allergy issue or is a premie and needs a special type of formula.

That sucks. I hope you can find a good paying job where you are. Best of luck OP.

The fact that you're paying $63 for baby formula is an FML in itself. Otherwise, I agree with #1.

Why did you move without having secured a job in the new location? And since you have a child with such needs to think of hopefully you saved up at least a 6 month living amount before you jumped ship at your old job. If not it's not a fyl , its a fyl for your kid because they have an irresponsible parent who they depend on who didn't plan ahead. That may sound harsh but I have no sympathy for ppl who play the "my kids needy and I have options just not the option I really really want" or for ppl who seem to not prepare adequately especially when a child is involved.

They might have had to have moved because of safety reasons- I've known several women that have had to move states because their ex- and father of their child- were abusive assholes that were threatening to kill them and their child. Hey didn't have TIME to save up, because legal forces basically went "we can't help you u less he's actively trying to kill you" or accused them of exaggerating or flat out lying. Or they may have lost their home and job and moved state Because the job market where they lived didn't have any openings. Especially since quite a few companies come up with trumped up reasons to fire women when they come back from maternity leave, or once they have a baby. Point blank, there isn't always the opportunity to save up "six months of income"- which, considering the person would be paying bills while trying to do so, could take years. Maybe stop and consider WHY someone with an ill child would be so desperate as to move state with no job lined up, before accusing them of being reckless and irresponsible?

beffnytutt 17

OP here, we moved because my husband finally got out of the army. We had a two weeks notice to pack and go, so we couldn't exactly save up for 6 months. We had everything except for WIC prepared within that two weeks. My husband got himself a job, so I could be a stay at home mom like normal. When we got to Texas, WIC told me they don't accept military insurance in our city. Therefore I need a job to afford his formula. And no, $63 was not a typo. He's on a special formula because he's had 4 gut surgeries. I just didn't feel the need to put all of that in there, because it's pretty much irrelevant.

People should always have savings. This whole generational thing of "it takes to much to save up nowadays" is ridiculous. And from OPs original post it sounded as though she had just up and moved without planning things out. The military have it hard because they don't get paid what they need and they have to do things like up and move with short notice. After the explanation it is a fyl for her. And yes I'm aware people who are abused must up and leave because of threats, I normally wouldn't disclose this but I came from a family that did that. My mom saved every little bit she could under the watch of my physically/emotionally/verbally/financially abusive father. She pleaded many nights to get money for me to get the stuff I needed for school and when she got to go shopping alone she saved what she didn't spend in a little jar in the laundry so that we had emergency funds if/when we had to run. My point being in all this....life happens and if you're over 16 you should have a savings account with some amount of money in it for the things in life not covered by your budget. And OP I hope you are able to provide what your child needs with help from Wic And I hope it's enough to genuinely help your family alleviate the stress for the formula cost. IMO you should be able to get it for free bc youre a service members spouse and child. We don't do enough for you guys here in America and you do a lot for us.

Everybody should be able to do things the way I say they can be done because I can/did so you can too...? That logic is ridiculous, everybody's situation is different.

Yeah ummm....no. Unless your husband got a dishonorable discharge you had plenty of warning before he got out of the military. Those contracts have an end date.

beffnytutt 17

What formula do you buy that costs $63 for just one can?

beffnytutt 17

Neocate infant at Walmart pharmacy. I've found it cheaper online, but we can't exactly risk it taking too long to ship here, or being lost.

My child's formula is $36 a can and lasts 36 hours...it totally sucks. Hang in there OP.

Hey OP, just wanted to let you know that Tricare should cover your prescription formula. You might get told no from some people but, if you can get a prescription copy from your doctor to the insurance company then it should be covered. Keep pushing it until they say yes. Also, with WIC in Texas, you can get special formula thats needed if your doctor fills out a form from the website. It'll have a spot where they can put what type is needed because of your baby's need for that. I hope this helps! Will pray for you all in your transition! :)