By AllyK_shawol - 09/03/2016 18:55 - United States - Midland

Today, I received a full tuition scholarship to my ideal university in the mail. This would be perfect, except I sent an email to the college 2 days earlier, informing them that I couldn't attend because of financial concerns. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 236
You deserved it 2 165

AllyK_shawol tells us more.

hi OP here again. cost of living is not included in the scholarship at all. no it is not more than the tuition of course but it is still sadly too much. for the field i am going into, i will end up getting a doctorate degree so going to a CC would not be a wise choice at all.

Top comments

I agree with #1. Besides, even it is not related to your email, you can always contact them again to say you changed your mind due to the new happy situation. It's only 2 days.

Could this not be related to the email?

Comments

A "No thank you" email isn't exactly a legal contract. You can reverse that decision. I did the opposite - I accepted a small scholarship to my second choice only a few days before I got my acceptance letter from my first choice. Then I had to write back to my second choice and say I wasn't attending in the fall. No big deal.

why did you send them an email saying that anyway? the only college you have to email is the one you are confirming and you don't have to do that for a while still

my parents had determined that i couldn't afford the school and instructed me to inform them that i couldn't attend.

hi everyone :) thanks for the comments. i did end up emailing the college again to ask them to disregard my previous email. unfortunately, after i discussed the scholarship with my parents, they determined that the cost of living at this particular school would still be too much. so that sucks but i have some other good options and i might be able to transfer to this school later on. thanks!

If that school liked you enough for a full scholarship, you must be pretty good. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find somewhere great.

Really sorry to hear this, OP. You never know, maybe something else is meant for you and that's why you couldn't accept their offer.

OP you could apply for student loans or other grants and pay them off after you've graduated. Don't give up on your dreams just because your parents tell you they can't afford it. Take on some debt and go to your dream college.

Definitely do a community college type thing. Dont listen to pp who say to go in debt.

photogirlinlove 16

That's not true at all. I've gone to two community colleges and landed a job at one of the most sought-after companies in my field, working right along side people who were hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt because of the fancy schools they went to. Going into debt to have a certain school name on your diploma just doesn't make sense financially. Employers look for competency, not alma mater.

The cost of living can't be higher than the cost of a full scholarship to a dream school!

nettrol 19

If it's a full ride tuition room and board are usually included so why are you worrying about cost of living?

i don't qualify for grants and i'm strongly discouraged from taking out large loans by my parents who are paying for a large part of my education.

@35 not always it depends on your degree. For engineering a community college degree is less respected than a degree from an engineering and technology centered school (Sources: multiple engineers that are at the tops of there companies)

Maybe it is worth the hustle and squeezing yourself a bit......

Personally I don't think this should be an FML, they gave you a scholarship because they saw something in you, something that after you told them you could not attend do to money they sent you a full ride Scholarship, that by the way, you do not have to pay back! I would die if I had actually had this chance, had the ability to be able to go to my /Dream/ college I didn't even go to college! I could not afford it even with scholarships, loans, funds from the state and Feds.

hi OP here again. cost of living is not included in the scholarship at all. no it is not more than the tuition of course but it is still sadly too much. for the field i am going into, i will end up getting a doctorate degree so going to a CC would not be a wise choice at all.

I went to CC for my associate's, ultimately got my PhD from an Ivy, so don't rule it out. Ultimately the 4 year you get your bachelor's from is far more important than where you spent the first two years.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

It's so much cheaper to get your associates degree from a 2-year school. It doesn't matter what degrees you get after that, and no one reasonable looks down on an associates from a community college. It's a pretty smart option if you want to minimize costs.

i'm not looking to get an associate's degree. i need a bachelor's degree and a doctorate degree for my profession of choice. also my family doesn't really view community colleges very well unfortunately. thanks tho :)

hi OP here again. cost of living is not included in the scholarship at all. no it is not more than the tuition of course but it is still sadly too much. for the field i am going into, i will end up getting a doctorate degree so going to a CC would not be a wise choice at all.

Could you tell me your gpa, your ACT score, and your school of choice? RSVP!

4.08 gpa, 32 ACT, and why do you need the college?

Seems a shame that such a great opportunity is wasted. Sometimes you also have to think about what you want rather than just what your parents like and dislike. Even if they are paying for it...