By rhymehoardhh - 05/03/2016 01:41 - United States - Garland

Today, I received a big scholarship. I was ecstatic, until I looked up the cost of tuition at that university. I still need $120K. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 557
You deserved it 2 378

rhymehoardhh tells us more.

I submitted this FML because it felt like that moment when Miss Colombia had her crown stripped from her after two minutes, due to misjudging that the bulk of my tuition would be paid. However, I quickly got over it because yes, this was from a private university and there are many other options. Although this university is one of the top in my intended field, I will likely be attending a local state university at a fraction of the cost instead, cause it's just not worth it. Thank you so much for all your advice!

Top comments

Time to pull up the student loan applications, or see if you qualify for need based financial aid. University in the US is expensive. Expect to pay around $200,000 for a four year private university. It is cheaper for state schools. It is great that you have a partial scholarship. I am 4 years out from medical school and in my residency training, and I have more than $287,000 in student loans to pay back ...

Yup, college is expensive OP. Keep looking for scholarships though, it's helped me lessen the cost of tuition. Best of luck at university OP! :)

Comments

aliciousness116 16

Study in India. We offer excellent education at an extremely cheap cost. Good luck OP.

Yes, and when you come back from India with you engineering diploma, you can have fun cleaning buildings at minimum wage. Sorry, but that's pretty much the reality here (Belgium).

aliciousness116 16

Depends on which university you went to.

Attacksloth 33

That's not education - that's indentured labour.

Mathalamus 24

i still wonder why people ever bother going to university when its basically a giant enormous rip off. you get four years of schooling, where each class costs hundreds or thousands of dollars each, at the minimum, and you aren't even guaranteed a job after that.

That's why the responsible people go to either a trade school, community college for a two year degree, or go to a cheaper, state college. Or a combination, like going to a community college then transferring to a state school, which saves thousands of dollars. People should also pick based on the amount of financial aid/scholarships offered and not the name of the university they want to go to.

What's sad though is that even community college isn't that inexpensive anymore. Compared to a university it is of course, but I chose to go to one for the first two years and even with scholarships I'm still paying out over a thousand each semester just for classes, which definitely isn't pocket change.

It depends on what career you want. For example, here inCanada you have to go to University to become a doctor or a lawyer. Not trade school, or college. You need a university degree. So there's not much of a choice for paying a ton of money.

Just ask Trump for a small loan of $120k.

SmittyJA24 26

Or Bernie. He's the proponent of "free college." And he's got money. Not as much as The Donald, but he's got money.

This is exactly why I stayed local. Tuition is $7k per semester and I get financial aid for $11k per semester. I chose graduating with no debt over the full college experience.

Exactly! I personally did two years of a community college for free on scholarship and now I'm at public university where my tuition is $11K and my financial aid/scholarships is $25K.

I did the same. All 4 years at a state school less than 20 minutes from home. I did an early deadline application and got a scholarship that covered my tuition in full. Unless you're going for a specialized degree and a particular school is known for being the best for that degree, go state school!

HayRuss 13

Stay local and go to a state school. I try to tell everyone this. Just because you're going to have a diploma with a nice college's name on it doesn't mean anything to your later employers. I'm going to school for my bachelors and then 2 more years for my masters and I'm not paying over $30k for it. Be smart about it !

Even regional schools with a good reputation are a good option. I graduated from a four-year regional school debt free because tuition was subsidized by the state and the school offered scholarships on top of that. Don't base your entire decision on money, but make it an important factor.

Yeah, for the vast majority of people, money should be weighed more in your mind than the reputability of the college. Student loans is a severe handicap when you graduate, and you'll have to sacrifice so much stuff afterwards. My boyfriend has a great job after being a double major, both in Engineering, from our school. It's great and he turned down a full ride at a pretty good state school for it, but he hasn't been able to do ANYTHING since graduating but work those loans off. He's never had a vacation on his own and can't even take a road trip over the weekend. He paid over $6,000 in student loan interest last year, and still has $30,000 to go. It was a public school, too, with reduced in-state tuition and his first two years were basically free. Still insane.

Yeah 31, I don't feel any sympathy for him because he could have gotten a full ride. That was just stupid of him to do.

31, even having made that poor decision, he will one day be out of debt and have a good job. Going to a school only because it is cheap is a bad idea. If the school has a bad reputation or has lost its accreditation, you may graduate and be debt-free, but good luck getting where you want to go. Ten years down the road you may have accumulated debt because you can't make enough money to support yourself. Just be smart.

Don't worry OP, this is normal in a capitalist society. This is the beginning of the end. You will die owing the government money.

Well, make sure you get a degree that will get you a job that will enable you to pay that money back and still live well. Don't get something useless like Liberal Arts or Fine Arts. No offense to people who hold those degrees, but I bet most of you would admit it hasn't helped you get a job. My husband has a bachelor's in Fine Arts and my mother has a master's in Liberal Arts and they would both attest to this. I joined the military and they're paying for college while I'm in and I'll still have free tuition when I get out. I'm guessing that's not something you want to do, though, since you've already got one scholarship in hand. So do your research *extensively* and really think hard about it. I'm considering an associate's in business: human resource management and perhaps a bachelor's English with a concentration in technical writing. Neither degree will make me rich but that's okay since I've already paid for them with my military service and either one should get me a career that will allow me to support myself. Maybe then I'll get my masters in something I really enjoy like creative writing or journalism or history and go for my real dream of being a novelist. I'd recommend that sort of path to anyone. Anyway, good luck with your education, your bills, and your future career.

Ginger_Love 19

I'm getting a BFA (Harder than a BA, more concentrated in the arts) in graphic design with a more than full ride and have already been offered jobs and I just entered my Jr year. I won't accept them until after I graduate. (More money with that degree) Also, Liberal arts aren't useless. You're probably wearing a graphic t-shirt or owning a few, you're looking at posters and advertisements/logos and listening to music. Don't undermine majors just because your parents didn't succeed. If you love something, you will fight for a position. The Arts are used and looked at everyday. ✌?️