By kitty91 - 03/03/2014 01:14 - United States - Albuquerque

Today, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while, but I had heard she was pregnant. I rubbed her belly and asked when she was due. She slowly backed away, giving me a weird look and said, "Two months ago." FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 824
You deserved it 19 764

kitty91_fml tells us more.

Why does everyone just assume we're not close friends? She's actually one of my best friends. I hadn't seen her in a while because I was out of the country and I knew she would be ok with me rubbing her belly because with her first pregnancy she always wanted me to touch her belly. It would've been awkward if she hadn't burst out laughing. We ended laughing so hard at my stupidity that we cried.

Top comments

You havent seen them in a while but felt the urge to rub their stomach?

I find it a little weird how people assume it's alright to touch a pregnant woman's stomach, especially without asking. You wouldn't just touch someone's stomach randomly, why do it when they're pregnant?!

Comments

Pregnant or not, you shouldn't rub your friend's (or anyone's) belly, that's probably the most awkward thing ever. especially since you said you haven't seen them in awhile.

aaaa_fml 13

You deserve it for putting your hands on someone like that without permission. Being pregnant doesn't make your stomach public property.

Pregnant women really don't like it when people do that. I once heard my pregnant wife say "If anyone touches my stomach again, I'm going to punch them in the throat..."

buttcramp 21

28, your wife sounds awesome lol

That's basically what I said throughout my entire pregnancy with my daughter. Only 2 people ever touched my belly, but one was family & the other a friend from school.

Michael2687 9

And I thought guys were the only ones dumb enough to do something like that.

Even if a woman told she was pregnant, had a certificate of authenticity, and I was married to her. I still would not assume she was pregnant

if a girl's got that round belly going on , it's pretty safe to stop being a weird **** n assume. n if it's a random don't talk to her if she's fat/pregnant n if she's your friend you'd probably know. if she hasn't told you she might not know lol.

It's ok if you ask or they offer. But to do it without asking= YDI.

xXanna_ 18

Someone's a little too touchy.

Don't even ask. It puts your friend in the uncomfortable position of feeling obligated to say yes to you to be polite. If the baby's kicking and she wants you to feel it, she'll offer. If not, oh well.

YDI for putting your hands on her stomach without permission, especially if she's not a close friend. Just because she's pregnant doesn't mean people have the right to touch her stomach. So many people assume this and sometimes you even hear about strangers walking up to feel the baby kick or something like that...Unless she invites you or you ask permission, keep your hands to yourself.

jaellin 18

To all the people saying ask before you touch the belly I say from experience this is minimally better. You're putting her in an awkward position of feeling obligated to say yes. If she wants to be randomly touched she'll let you know.

Llama_Face89 33

Don't even ask. That's an awkward situation waiting to happen...