By PupZilla - 02/07/2015 14:08 - United States - Bartlett

Today, I heard my skinny 14-year-old daughter tell her friend, "Ugh, I wish I had leukemia or something so that I could lose weight." Yes, she actually said that. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 168
You deserved it 3 867

PupZilla tells us more.

Hello everyone, Op here First off, holy crap i didnt think this would get published, but when i got the email that it did, i HAD to look at the comments. Secondly, she doesnt live with me most of the time, she lives with her dad and visits me one day a week and every other weekend. I am there for her and we talk a lot and are very close. Thirdly, i have NO idea why she said this. I talked to her after her friend left and she told me that she is very confident in herself, but feels that she wants to be a size 0, not a size 2. She is very open with me and i can spot when she is not being truthful from a mile away. I explained to her how it was highly inappropriate and she seemed to understand. The friend that she had over is one friend that neither me nor her father likes. She has influenced my daughter in an unhealthy way. If my ex or myself notices any more behavior like this then we will take her to therapy. My daughter definitely meant leukemia because when i asked her about it, she told me that it was not anorexia or bulimia that she was talking about. She is very confident with her body and i actually have to tell her to cover up sometimes because of what she wears. Anyway, I spoke with her and she now understands how bad cancer is and what it does to people. I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on her now and her father will too. And to those of you who said i was eavesdropping, she was in the living room, and i was coming down the stairs.

Top comments

I'm not big on smacking kids often, but I hope you smacked the stupid out of her.

Queen_of_Night 20

If you get the chance OP have your daughter read this. My best friend just lost her step brother a few weeks ago to lymphoma which is very similar to leukemia. She was visiting me from our home state when she got the call. I was the one who held her as she cried. He was only in his early 20's. He went through several bouts of bone marrow transplants, which are extremely painful for both the doner and the receiver. His immune system started to reject everything, he looked like a burn victim. His skin was so dry and cracking to the point it would bleed. Then it would scar. He lost all of his teeth in the last few months of his life and was forced on to a liquid diet. He went from being on his way to a college basketball scholarship to bed ridden and confined to a wheel chair. He spent sometime in remission only to relapse about a year ago. He spent six years fighting and just couldn't fight anymore just last month. His whole body just shut down and he said he wasn't ready to die. These are the kind of complications that when you look up lymphoma that you won't find. It's not a funny joke nor is it a cool way to lose weight. He lost weight, because he couldn't eat or move or really anything else. Oh and there's a little issue of your hair falling out. I also just lost my Uncle to bone cancer 2 days ago. It's not cute nor funny to see my father upset over his brother being gone. He was there when he passed and said he never wanted to do anything like that again. A lot of people on here I'm sure will call me out as being "fake" however, I am happy to send the obits and FB pages your way. Is this all worth it for a size 0 jean?

Comments

pphead 5

You should probably talk to your daughter rather than eavesdrop on her conversations

leogachi 15

You don't know that Op was eavesdropping. They could have been passing by when she said it.

I think it's seriously time to have a sit down with her And explain to her how utterly stupid she is being.

Eating disorders and negative body image problems are no joke. Talk to her. Help her.

You should look into that...sounds serious. Watch the movie Men Women and Children.

You should bring her to the cancer ward in your local hospital and have the people with cancer tell her what having cancer is like.

Agreed. That isn't a normal thing to say. Some disorders like BDD would cause such a dramatic reaction. Or just maybe she being bullied or something.

I fear for the future of this world.

I would talk to her about it. As someone who's dealt with body image issues and anorexia, it's best to intervene early.