By Kasey103 - 22/01/2013 23:39 - United States - Grand Rapids

Today, I had lunch with an attractive foreign exchange student from Dresden. After bombarding her with questions about Russia, she smiled and kindly told me that Dresden is in Germany. Everyone laughed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 236
You deserved it 49 489

Kasey103 tells us more.

In my defense, when she said, "Dresden is in Germany, Sweetie." I knew exactly where it was. My cousins are from Leipzig. I guess her accent just made the name sound funny. But thank you all for adding your two cents about the American education system.

Top comments

strawberrywine22 30

Geography? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Comments

Imhere4fml 24

Hey, it's always good to make a girl laugh right ? and in this case everyone else :)

Go educate yourself before coming to Europe, we have enough idiots of our own.

Forgive my inability to read, well I were to do an exchange I'll bring a map to point out where I am from.

OhDearBetrayal 25

It's okay. When I was an exchange student, some thought Norway was in Russia.

You "bombarded" the girl from Dresden? What a choice of words.

He has not a clue about whst u mean haha

Hope he didn't apologize: "Sorry for bombarding you, Dresden-girl" ... that story might have ended up a bit differently.

I just hope that by bombarding her with questions, he didn't create a firestorm!

Dresden's like the most famous place in Germany after Berlin....you do know Berlin is in Germany, right OP?

I think Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Hamburg might come before it. Dresden's a big one, for sure, but if I was listing major cities I'd pick those first. Just saying.

Dresden was one of the major German cities that was heavily bombed late in WWII in an attempt to break the German morale. It was almost totally civilian with nearly no military significance. It was also quite historic including major cathedrals. This episode was one of the most controversial actions of the entire war though my personal belief is that all such actions were totally justified at that time.

perdix 29

#32, to Americans, the two most important German cities are Hamburg and Frankfurt. Our expanding waistlines have eternal affection and gratitude toward the Hamburgers and the Frankfurters.

33 and 37 - Yeah, you guys are probably right actually. I guess it's because I learnt about Berlin and Dresden at the same time that when someone mentions one I immediately think of the other so I think of them as the main ones but yeah...definitely Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt and Hamburg are bigger, possibily Dusseldorf and Cologne too now I think about it.

I once met an Englishman who thought my country was in South America while my country is seen as a neighbouring country of the United Kingdom.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

At least you'll never have to endure the pressure of being a geography bee champion.