This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Journeyman1 - 17/06/2017 00:00

Today, I had a doctor's appointment and expected him to say something about my weight, because I clearly lit up underweight on the office scale. I wasn't expecting him to keep me waiting for 75 minutes and then not utter a peep about it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 367
You deserved it 764

Top comments

missyfiona89 28

If it was a concern, why didn't you say something? If it isn't, why are you bringing it up? Congratulations for not being fat?

That sucks. And you probably couldn't have mentioned it yourself after that recent tongue-removal you had.

Comments

That sucks. And you probably couldn't have mentioned it yourself after that recent tongue-removal you had.

doctors treat the problem you came in with, they can't be expected to comment on everything that seems wrong. this doctor probably guessed that you're aware of being underweight (which you are). also really depends on the type of doctor. my orthopedist never commented on my asthmatic cough, even though it's very noticeable.

My pediatrician never said anything when I was underweight, but once I gained weight and got back to what I was supposed to be, he shows me the chart of my growth over the years, and said he was a little worried then, but I was fine now. I was 30 pounds underweight.

missyfiona89 28

If it was a concern, why didn't you say something? If it isn't, why are you bringing it up? Congratulations for not being fat?

being underweight can cause just as many problems as being overweight (from experience)

missyfiona89 28

that's true, so shouldn't op bring that up to the doctor? I wouldn't expect to be treated for being overweight if I'm going in for a cough.

Maybe you were still healthy despite being "underweight." I'm still slightly under the 100 pounds mark yet I'm in my late 20's and the doctors never bat an eye at it.

Guessing you don't take that situation lightly, do you? (I'm sorry/not sorry...)

That's a pretty expensive and inefficient way to fish for a compliment.

"My, aren't you emaciated. Is that your spleen I see?"

adult tip of the day: tell the doctor what concerns you. unless your weight was directly related to the reason you're there, they probably won't say anything.

You know you're underweight. Why would you need him to mention it?

I'm guessing that OP wanted the doctor to mention it so that they could rule out health problems- like cancer- if the weight loss was sudden, or so that they could discuss getting back up to a healthy weight without making them self sicker. Because if you are underweight, you can't just go and gorge yourself on junk food- it causes GI upset and rapid weight loss and gain can cause inflammation in various parts of the body. That said, the doctor might not have brought it up if OP was close to being within healthy range, which means that it would have been OP's responsibility to do so.

WaterMoccasin 5

What my doctor told me is that it doesn't matter as much if you are overweight or underweight, because everybody's different and it's generally fine as long as you follow a similar growth pattern. Maybe you should ask your doctor if you're worried?