By fml0505 - 09/05/2013 06:49 - United States

Today, as with every day, I had to endure my roommate talking to his wife in a baby voice. This is a grown man, who has had a beard since junior high, who literally talks to her like you would a puppy or a baby. Someone kill me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 893
You deserved it 7 752

fml0505 tells us more.

This is the OP! I live with a married couple because they are old friends of mine, the rent is cheap, and it helps them out with the bills as well. It's really not that bad, we get along really well. The baby talk just gets old when you hear it all the time ya know? I don't even think he realizes he's doing it at this point, and I don't want to get in the middle of their marriage. I'll just keep quiet, drown it out with manly music, and vent on FML! # 2 I will be long gone before they have a real baby. # 17 I am indeed very jealous of his beard. Also, they are not newly weds. And to clear things up, all three of us are roommates. He's not living with me instead of his wife like some of you thought. That is all.

Comments

To me it seems awkward to have a married couple as roommates, then again I have no experience in having roommates.

I am guessing you are a bit jealous of his beard, although you might not admit it...

BellaBelle_fml 23

Beards are awesome. Fear the beard!

intelliDude 7

This can sometimes happen to people who were talked to too much in a baby voice when they were a kid. They get used to hearing it and think it's the norm, so that's how they learn to talk. I slightly have the issue, and it annoys me. It probably annoys your roommate in addition to you.

A 'baby voice' or 'infant directed speech' usually helps babies/young children learn phonetic sounds since the vowels and tone are exaggerated. I'm fairly certain they don't talk like that as a result of being exposed to it.

18-That would only make sense if he talks to everyone like this.

intelliDude 7

I'm not saying you shouldn't talk to babies in a baby voice. I'm saying too much of it will cause them to think it's normal for everyone.

Probably one of the most daft things I've heard in a long while.

Why would he be rooming with you and not his wife ?

Perhaps the wife lives with them as well. I've known married couples who moved in with additional roommates to help reduce housing expenses.

perdix 29

OK, I'll do it, but I will need my travel expenses reimbursed up front. My M.O. is smothering people with diapers -- sounds like a fitting way for you to shuffle off this mortal coil.

so, in a normal voice? i don't speak differently to a baby. there's no point in it. look up some studies about it.

Baby talk, when "used correctly" can be beneficial to speech development. Or you can just read baby, Dr. Seuss'-"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish"(:

Don't wait for someone else to do it mate, just do it yourself

Ugh! I once over heard my dad ask my mother if she wanted a "Fucky wucky?" :P All I can think about is, that "Seinfeld" episode where George starts to baby talk to his girlfriend in front of Jerry-- trying to make him realize how silly it sounded when Jerry did it to his date. It backfires because George's girlfriend enjoyed the affection.

perdix 29