By nattlecakes - 07/04/2015 07:23 - United States - Sacramento

Today, after over six weeks of not getting a single shift at my part time job, I finally went in to meet my new manager. He didn't even know I existed. Apparently my old manager lied and said I quit so they hired someone else. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 368
You deserved it 6 114

nattlecakes tells us more.

nattlecakes 19

Alright. OP here. My workplace switched managers due to our store getting a bad rating from corporate and sales basically tanking. He was demoted to a different store and instead decided to quit. I wasn't getting hours before my old manager left either. I had talked to him and he said the ratio with sales versus hours employees are working was out of whack or something along those lines, and since I hadn't been fully trained yet I couldn't run the shop on my own or even with one to two others there since they would have been either doing all the work or they wouldn't have needed me there. Also pretty much very other co worker had been whittled down to only one to three shifts a week other than the supervisors so that was out of my control but things are supposed to change when the new manager comes in. My new manager comes in a few weeks ago and I was still coming in every week to check the schedule. At this point nobody knew that's what my old manager had said. I kept seeing coworkers and talking to them, but never my new manager so I checked to see when he would be in. Inconveniently, just after this new manager transferred to our store he went on a two and a half week vacation (three weeks of work). The day he comes back in I come in and introduce myself and say I would like to discuss hours, and he has the most confused look on his face ever. I punch in my employee number and it says I am no longer employed. That's when we called the owner and figure out what had happened. They said they would call me. That was on Saturday and it's now Tuesday, so i have no idea whether or not I will be getting my job back. Either way I am looking for employment elsewhere since I obviously don't have much stability at my current workplace and the business is suffering badly anyway.

Top comments

I'm surprised it took you six weeks to go in and ask what was going on.

Sounds like your old manager was a shift-y character

Comments

That happened to me once, albeit I went in to check at 3-week intervals. Finally my manager just said "Uh, yeah sorry, we just can't get your schedule to work." So I just stopped checking completely, didn't even pick up my W2 and got a better job elsewhere. (Thankfully I was in a college town where part-time jobs were everywhere; hope OP is in a similar situation.)

You deserve it for waiting six weeks. Clearly, by your surprise at not getting scheduled for so long, you were scheduled often with your old manager. As soon as you had one week where you weren't on the schedule a single day, your red flag should've gone up. I have no sympathy for your idiocy.

cryssycakesx3 22

I assumed op wasn't scheduled very often at all, not that it validates idiocy...

YDI, obviously your job wasn't that important to you if you chose to wait 6 weeks before trying to find out why you weren't being scheduled.

karcummings 19

wow.. should Try and explain the situation to him

You are late to the shift by six weeks

Shit, that same exact thing happened to me last year (except it was one, not six, weeks). Sorry, OP... I know exactly how it feels. :(

Hey there everyone! I have worked in Abercrombie, Abercrombie Kids, and Express for a year now, and let me share my experience. It is normal for retail people to go 3 or 4 months without a single shift. All the hours that the store gets will be given to all the managers and assistant managers, with the leftovers going to one or two lower employees. I have went as long as five months without a shift at one store, but all my store managers were still aware that I existed. I do agree with everyone else that it was silly of him to wait six weeks though, as my own store managers will quit their jobs about every 3 months and fresh store managers will come in. You need to keep in touch with your bosses.

That...no, that is not normal. Your managers are terrible.

Maybe it's different where you live, but I've been working part time in retail for over 4 years and I have never once gone a single week without at least one shift unless I asked for the time off. The only time in all 4 years that I was left off the schedule for a week I asked about it right away because it was so strange, and they apologized for forgetting me and added a couple shifts for me. So from my experience, it is far from normal to go weeks or months without a single shift. How do you pay your bills in the months that you're not getting paychecks?

That's why I will never shop at Abercrombie and the like...boring clothes, horrible ethos and shitty treatment of employees.

Yes, there are many problems currently with manager and employee relations at Abercrombie that I have experienced. Some managers that I have met, have been professional and great to work with. However, the higher up the ladder you go, the managers become more and more careless and become irritated if you ask them for advice. Some store managers that I have met, before they disappeared into oblivion, seem to suspiciously lack the skills to run the store! One time a customer asked for a price check, and I scanned the tag to get the final price after all the discounts and sales, and the screen came up blank. I asked my boss(store manager) standing next to me if she knew what was going on. Instead she made a scene, that made me look stupid in front of the customer. That customer never got a simple price check...

I am so jealous of you! It might depend on how lucky we are I guess? I applied to so many stores and warehouses, but for some reason only the highest-end retail stores call me back! At these stores you have to wear the brand, so one *employee* outfit at Abercrombie cost me about $120, while Express was around $220 for some employee clothing. Pay is minimum wage($7.25 an hour), with no chance of raises or advancement unless you have a college degree, then MAYBE they will look your way. Hours are between 0 and 6 a week for me at all three retail stores I am employed at. Expect to work a 18 hr shift on Black Friday. Last Black Friday, when I worked at A&F Kids, I was the only stocker to show up! There was suppose to be like 5 others, but it was only me. I tried talking to my store manager about the overload of work that I was expected that day, but she just kind of waved me off. Sorry for the huge reply, I had to let out a lot of frustration! For my bills, all of my clothes shopping is done at those stores, when I can use my 50% to ?? off employee discount. I also, do MANY online surveys that pay me in Amazon gift cards which I use to buy my luxury items. Food and lodging is provided by my parents, I am very grateful of them.

Tell me about it! I have the strangest and mean store managers ever! One time I noticed one of my store managers just laying on the floor giggling, and crying. I have no idea what her deal was. Another store manager rolls her eyes at me so much, it is a wonder on how she can see where she is going!

If you wait six weeks before saying anything of course they're going to think you quit.

Six weeks is along time. You think after a week or two at most you'd say something. Even if you weren't get many hours to start, to not get any at all raises a red flag to most people.