By cats1234 - 07/04/2016 19:19 - Canada - Red Deer

Today, $1,000 were stolen from a deposit box to which only I and a coworker have access. I was so nervous during my interrogation that the cop said he had no doubt I was the one who stole the money. I had nothing to do with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 876
You deserved it 2 107

cats1234 tells us more.

Op here, I do not work at a bank, I work at a bong shop the keeps the money we deposit in the bank in a safe, which only pays a little above minimum wage, they do have cameras but I don't know if the RCMP looked at the footage or not. The RCMP are taking it very seriously and whoever is responsible is going to be charged I just hope they are able to catch the person who really did it. I am certainly not going to replace money I did not take, but more so I would not want the record that goes with it. I don't know if they can charge me without evidence. I didn't know how to respond to some of the things the cop was saying which is what made me nervous (I have pretty bad anxiety). He said I stole the money because I am in a bit of hard times and Easter was coming up and there is no way to track cash, I told him I didn't even buy one piece of chocolate for Easter never mind $1000 worth and the only hard time I'm having is, having my pay withheld because of this situation, which wasn't a good enough answer for the cop. It's hard to prove my innocence because I was the one who found the money missing in the first place, $35 missing from the til and reported it to my manager who said it was probably just a mistake, and to check my coworkers deposit in the safe for the missing money, when I opened it there was only $4.15 when it was supposed to be $350 so I reported that and they came to the conclusion it must be my fault because, their words "I was the last person to see the money" but it was already gone when I got there. Then a week later I did my deposit for the day and put it into the box the next day my coworker said all that was left when she went to the bank was around $10 when it was supposed to be around $400, then my manger decided we take our own deposits home with us and deposit to the bank on our days off which fixed the money going missing problem, but then on Easter Sunday after I closed at around 6:15 and took home my deposit someone went into the store at night and used the alarm code that was just reset a few days before to stop the alarm from going off only me and the other girl know the code, I am pretty sure they didn't take any money that time just broke a bunch of pipes and bongs which is strange. My theory is maybe my coworker didn't know if I would take my deposit home and went to look for it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Top comments

ourtneyc 14

I'm so sorry OP, I hope you can prove your innocence. Good luck!

Comments

ourtneyc 14

I'm so sorry OP, I hope you can prove your innocence. Good luck!

OP doesn't have to prove anything. It's the job of the prosecution to prove someone is guilty, not the defense to prove they are innocent

friedpwnadge 25

Being nervous isn't a crime.

Some people still end up paying the price for crimes thy didn't commit. Nervousness and anxiety are things the police look for during an interrogation, and although OP is innocent, it may not seem that way to whoever was interrogating them.

Failing a lie test detector might be the bit of evidence which proves he is guilty for the cops. America has been using the lie detector test for years even though it's been proved extremely inaccurate. But yes, they really can't do anything to him since they have absolute no evidence except that he had one of the keys. An alibi will help at this point...

Some of the tests are accurate, but the only one that is used extensively is the polygraph, which like you said is a load of BS. It basically looks for nervousness or ticks, the kind of thing most people being interrogated by the police get, and then declares guilty if they are present.

#19. The polygraph is used in America and many other countries. It is an interrogation technique. It is not in itself evidence. You obviously don't understand its use or law in the United States. OP. The investigator's statement is also an interrogation technique. Maintain your innocence. They have to prove their case. Don't say something to prove it for them.

Lie detectors are pointless, they are not admissible in court

I'm sorry you are having to go through this, OP. Unfortunately the police have to determine who to charge, and the best way is by confession. They start out with no clue who actually did the crime, and have to get enough evidence to let the DA prove they did it (in court). So they'll lay on the "you did it" hoping you will feel guilty enough to confess and they can arrest you and be done with it. One version of this (used on TV a good bit) is having them tell you the other girl "already told us you stole it, so why don't you just come clean?" You're innocent? Then just don't tell them you're not. #14: Almost every retail business has a safe, usually divided into two compartments. One is for operating funds (register drawers), and the other (which requires a key as well as the combination) is for the daily drop/deposit. The latter is what was stolen, and OP has one of two (or three) keys for that compartment.

It has to be proven for you to get in trouble. stay strong and tell the truth, OP :)

CrassKal 27

Unless you admit to anything, I doubt they can charge you based on an opinion. You can still lose your job though.

Well, the whole court system basically boils down to a mass opinion but yeah, I don't think one opinion will count.

1000$ is a grand larceny fellony right? I would definitely fight that tooth and nail.

I believe grand larceny starts at$5,000

yenze 18

Would this not be super easy to prove with all the cameras in the bank?

CrassKal 27

If there were cameras then they wouldn't need to bother with an interrogation, clearly.

yenze 18

(going to get thumbed down) i never heard of a bank without cameras

tarlax 11

Banks are far from the only places to have safe deposit boxes, genius. This probably happened at a fancy hotel.

yenze 18

Oh i didn't think of it not being in a bank. When i think deposit box i think in a bank. Thanks for the clarification.

I worked at McDonald's back in the day. Each store has its own box.

I thought they changed that now. Guilty until the media says different.

*guilty from when the media blindly speculates in order to get attention.

It's actually guilty even if proven innocent. If you're brought before a court to face charges, no one really gives a **** if you did it or not. Anyone who is not a juror or judge is going to assume you did it unless they have trust issues with regards to law enforcement. This holds even if you're proven innocent because a lot of people still have too much faith in the court system and law enforcement officers.

innocent until proven guilty. so try not to worry about it so much.

Use the money to buy them donuts and make them friendly, OP.

Just breathe, op and make sure they get out those lie detectors, they have on Maury.

Lie detectors are an interrogation technique. They are unreliable, which is why they are considered inadmissible as evidence in a court of law. Several years ago, a scientist "proved" that plants have feelings and a consciousness using a lie detector.

Yeah, what 46 said. They're less "lie" detectors and more like "anxious people hearing questions" detectors.

Completely off topic here but #46 it may be that plants do have feelings and consciousness. We've determined that many species of plants use the same chemicals in their roots as humans and other mammals have in their brains. And they also use a combination of electrical charges and chemicals to transmit information.