Mystery person

By How - 18/04/2018 01:30

Today, I received a letter from my apartment complex saying I have an unauthorized tenant living with me. I must provide proof they don't live with me in the next 72 hours or I get kicked out. Nobody lives with me, and I don't know how to prove it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 785
You deserved it 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Confront your landlord and tell him/her that you’re taking them to court; remind him/her that, in a court of law, the accuser (i.e., your landlord) is required to produce evidence of their claims against the accused (i.e., you).

Correct, OP; there is no way to prove a negative, duh! Have the cops stop by to fill out a search report, perhaps? Good luck!

Comments

Confront your landlord and tell him/her that you’re taking them to court; remind him/her that, in a court of law, the accuser (i.e., your landlord) is required to produce evidence of their claims against the accused (i.e., you).

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this: it is their unsubstantiated claim that you have an unauthorized tenant living with you, they would first have to provide proof before they could use the argument to kick you out.

lukesick1 12

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Your parents must be incredibly proud of you.

Correct, OP; there is no way to prove a negative, duh! Have the cops stop by to fill out a search report, perhaps? Good luck!

No don't call the cops. Cops are for criminal matters. What the landlord is doing is civil not criminal. It's a issue they will need to solve between the tenant and landlord or go to civil court.

Zachary8261 28

Take video and/or photographic evidence of every square millimeter of your place. Provide it to them as proof.

Droplet20 8

the person living with him could just stand vehind him🤔

Maybe, but their belongings couldn't!

You’re being ghosted in the other way, aka, haunted!

Lobby_Bee 17

Ask for proof that someone else is living there.

Well, at least if you move you will finally get away from that ghost (and his rent increasing ways)

The onus is on the landlord to prove that someone is living with you, not the other way around. In any event, you can't prove the absence of something. Good luck OP. Don't let them push you around!

thatslifeiguess7 16

Get a nanny cam. each new apartment my dad would tell us pay for a change of locks. maybe the last renter comes by?

OMFSM you have a good point! What if there IS someone else there, and OP just doesn't know?! Eeek!

thatslifeiguess7 16

How many folks have found folks who live in attics. As small as apartments in Japan are a guy found a gal living in a cabinet