It's not a phase, mom!

By cjkelly1 - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my parents made me a steak dinner to celebrate me visiting home from college. I've been a vegetarian for eleven years. This is the third time they've done this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 638
You deserved it 12 668

Top comments

19mandi82 0

Hmm...just a thought, but I don't think this was posted as a for/against debate. My guess is that the OP was just upset about the fact that this dinner, prepared FOR her, was full of food she has refused to eat for a long time. It sounds like the parents are one way and so they think their offspring should be the same. It's no different than if the OP was lesbian and when she got home they had the hot new neighbor guy over and tried to hook them up. I'm guessing that would give some laughs, but many more arguments that it was wrong. The fact is, the OP chose a certain lifestyle and the parents not only ignored it but tried to force their own lifestyle on her. Cut her some slack, once again...this dinner was supposed to be a "welcome home" meal.

somebody doesn't want you to be a vegitarian

Comments

gennarawr 0

well you're dumb. we're not designed to eat vegetables or fruit at all. we were originally carnivores. we just adapted. so it's your fault for depriving yourself of the nutrients we are supposed to have.

RezaDupontDC 0

either: they prefer to eat steak, and don't care about you nor your ideals, or they think you're sickly and need meat.

Vegetarianism is stupid. Humans are omnivores by nature and always have been. It's not healthy to go without meat altogether (there are certain types of protiens that you just can't get from non-animal sources, because they only exist in meat). Now that doesn't mean you should go scarf down heavy meat in your diet, because in nature humans wouldn't have access to 3 cheeseburgers a day, but it IS natural and healthier for you to incorporate meat into your diet at LEAST once every day or so (even if it's just a small serving of fish or a single slice of lunchmeat). That being said, the only reason anybody could have for being an adamant vegetarian would be either: a.) some misconstrued sense of what's "healthy" (going without meat or fish altogether actually makes your muscles a bit weaker and deprives your body of a well balanced set of vitamins--this is why so many vegetarians/vegans have to take vitamin supplements to replace what they're missing). OR, b.) some arrogant sense of self-righteousness (avoiding deliberate animal cruelty is one thing, but being a carnivore is NOT equal to say, dog-fighting or hunting just for sport). So...the only reasons you could have for being a vegetarian are either because you don't know better or because you're just a tree(cow?)-hugging douchebag. Therefore, YDI. Now eat your parents' steak, and be grateful that they paid for you to go off to college and spent time preparing a nice meal for you when you came home. JFC.

Actually, people from India who are very traditional, do not eat meat unless they born with a warrior status. There are many reasons for being a vegetarian. There are also some who simply can not digest meat well, so they are vegetarians for a medical purpose. And then there are others who simply don't like the taste or texture of meat. I mean, If I think about what I'm eating (meat wise) it kind of grosses me out sometimes. Thinking that my food once lived, breathed, ate, and had blood running through it. I know that God put certain animals here for us to eat (and He said to eat them SPARINGLY in winter or times of famine), but just thinking of my food being those cute cows is kinda weird.

So, you become a douchebag if you don't want that animals get killed? Strange. Although vegetarians are a little bit hypocrite. They don't eat meat because of the poor slaughtered animals, but they still eat eggs, although most chickens (the ones that don't live on a local farm) have a terrible, terrible and short life. Vegetarism is way better if you want to avoid animal cruelty. The death of an animal is less worse for it than a lifetime full of suffering. And yes, we are omnivores by nature, but there is also something like culture (or nurture) and a free mind. It's not because we were meant to eat meat, that we have to do it. You're right about the 'there are some types of proteins that only excists in meat', but hey, you're not going to die if you miss them, besides, that's the reason those vitamin supplements excists. But I'm not an vegetarian/veganist. I'm a meat-eater, the not-hypocretic kind that wouldn't be afraid to slaughter her own meat and wants to taste every kind of meat in the world.

would you eat your pet dog? sorry to be confrontational, but some people do not like eating dead bodies. and also, generally, if someone being a vegetarian offends you, it is definitely your problem not theirs.

heyfuq 1

ydi for not partaking in the flesh of other animals.

noeffingsoupfory 0

ydi for bein an purity vegetarian..fag

noeffingsoupfory 0

ydi for being an uppity vegetarian..fag

What's with all the arrogant people on here? I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years, and I'm actually healthier than I was when I ate meat. Meat (especially red meat) made me feel sick anyway, and I don't need to take any vitamin supplements for what I'm 'missing'. Thankfully, my family accept my vegetarianism.

I've been veggie for three months and I felt amazing after only two weeks, myself. In front of my school, there's this flight of stairs, about 13 ft high at a 60 degree or so angle. It kills people. Every day I see someone up on top, panting, after walking up. After going veggie, I can run up them by two and not even break a sweat. :)

your school must be full of fat *****. and do you go to fireman school? because a 60 degree incline would be like climbing a ladder on the side of your house. I eat meat all the ******* time, like kobiashi! NOMNOMNOM!!! and I run track and play football and I have no problem performing unathletic tasks that only someone who is 300 pounds would be panting after like climbing ******* stairs. stop lying. being vegetarian sucks. end of story.

That's what you get for being a pussy vegetarian

19mandi82 0

Hmm...just a thought, but I don't think this was posted as a for/against debate. My guess is that the OP was just upset about the fact that this dinner, prepared FOR her, was full of food she has refused to eat for a long time. It sounds like the parents are one way and so they think their offspring should be the same. It's no different than if the OP was lesbian and when she got home they had the hot new neighbor guy over and tried to hook them up. I'm guessing that would give some laughs, but many more arguments that it was wrong. The fact is, the OP chose a certain lifestyle and the parents not only ignored it but tried to force their own lifestyle on her. Cut her some slack, once again...this dinner was supposed to be a "welcome home" meal.

boatkicker 4