Capitalism kills

By malicemassacre - 21/03/2020 15:00

Today, the county I live in is quarantined. My boss announced that, "We keep working until the government says they will shoot us if we leave the house.” We work in a call center. Not essential at all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 001
You deserved it 223

Same thing different taste

Top comments

omgjenwtf 11

He can’t be serious. Is it cause he knows everyone is home and more likely to answer their phone? Regardless, that’s awful.

bl3ur0z3 17

You're still earning a paycheck. However, many call centers (both my sister in law and I work at call centers) are sending their employees home. My employer handed me a box with a company computer and sent me on my way. Plug in at home and I'm set to work without 2,000 coworkers sharing viruses. If nothing else works, maybe tell your employer about your friend that you visit with everyday who just tested positive.

Comments

omgjenwtf 11

He can’t be serious. Is it cause he knows everyone is home and more likely to answer their phone? Regardless, that’s awful.

mrspinkham18 5

At least you still have a job. Do you know how many people have been laid off or had their hours cut? It sucks that you have to risk being around other people. Your boss should set up a way for you all to work from home, but it could be worse. Company’s are going to be losing so much money and there will be some that will have to go bankrupt/close. You HAVE a job.

It's essential for your boss to make money. QED. Unless your coworkers are sitting in your lap, working at a call center seems like a pretty safe job. You don't have to deal with the public face-to-face. Be glad that you're employed as long as possible. The government bailout is likely to be disappointing.

Marcella1016 31

Are OP’s co-workers not the public? If you don’t want to put yourself at risk - say, you live at home with an elderly parent or someone with asthma - then you should not be forced to be among “the public.” It sucks some people are in a position where they can’t make money that they need. But it also sucks when you want to choose not to put yourself at risk and you’re forced to. People like this are part of the problem of why it keeps spreading so the US will eventually look like Italy and Spain where the virus got out of control, instead of the virus being contained and wiped out like in Japan and South Korea, where they actually care about their populations over profit. But yaknow...Capitalism/‘Murica/etc.

bl3ur0z3 17

You're still earning a paycheck. However, many call centers (both my sister in law and I work at call centers) are sending their employees home. My employer handed me a box with a company computer and sent me on my way. Plug in at home and I'm set to work without 2,000 coworkers sharing viruses. If nothing else works, maybe tell your employer about your friend that you visit with everyday who just tested positive.

Marcella1016 31

That’s pretty cool that your boss found a way for you all to work from home. Perfect solution - still make money/contribute to the economy without putting yourself and others at risk. I feel this will be long-term for many businesses where a lot of jobs will become work-from-home.

malicemassacre 18

Op here, I understand not a lot of people are working which does make me thankful but I am pregnant and also have a 16 month old that was born premature with lung issues so I’m definitely concerned. But since the post I’ve been able to express that to my employer and make adjustments! Stay safe and healthy everyone!!