Bad omen

By Anonymous - 26/04/2016 05:04 - United States - Kenosha

Today, I started a new job. The synopsis of my training was, "You're starting a job you're going to hate and you'll be fired for entertaining yourself while waiting for us to give you more work. But you're going to love being here." FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 538
You deserved it 1 916

Same thing different taste

Top comments

BDanzeisen 20

Keep pestering them to give you work. They can't fire you for that.

How can you both hate it, and love it? Or do they mean that you'll hate the job, but love the workplace?

Comments

Sounds lovely. If it doesn't pay well I'd start looking for a new job elsewhere.

HR at the company is there for THE COMPANY. They won't do shit except help them be fired.

I can't help wondering exactly what OP meant by "entertaining themselves" while waiting for work - There are so many things that might have meant, some of them embarrassing.... I do understand that their employer doesn't want their employees to be become distracted by their down time activities that they don't notice when there is work to be done. Almost every job has a rhythm - Busy times and slow times. The slow times are best used preparing to take the load off the busy times, not for posting on FML....

LuckBeNimble 19

maybe the job is categorizing **** videos in-studio. boring, tedious work; you'd get fired for "entertaining" yourself; probably get to meet a lot of fun people, and the environment has to be relaxed--I doubt people take themselves TOO seriously at an adult ent. studio. I'm gonna stick with that.

Exactly what I thought. My guess was OP is peeved about not being able to use a cellphone during their downtime

Might make some good friends. If nothing else you can use the downtime to look for a different job while getting paid.

Sounds like a great place! They're probably joking.

Instead of "Entertaining Yourself", look around for other work that needs to be done. Even if it's something as simple as sweeping the floors, that shows you are self-motivated and willing to go above and beyond the necessities of your daily operation. That is, if you actually want to try and keep this job.