Back home

By Anonymous - 30/12/2012 19:21 - Germany - Neunkirchen

Today, I returned to Germany for a break from my studies abroad. I got lost while out for groceries, so I tried asking a guy for directions. I went totally blank and strained to think of the right words, prompting him to mutter about rude foreigners not bothering to learn the local language. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 032
You deserved it 5 364

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pheebs314 17

I'm friends with a girl who was an exchange student from Germany in high school and after a few months of being surrounded by English all the time, she even had a hard time talking to her parents on the phone.

I often fumble over my words when I've been studying broads.

Comments

Mi llamo dogface to the banana patch?

Returned? Then you should have some of the language skills I only spent three weeks there the first time and picked it up about The third day. I know some people pick things up quicker than others not saying your dumb or anything like that. But it is beautiful place with some damn good food and beer

OP is German; she was returning to her OWN country for a break. So I assume she knows the language, but after studying abroad she's probably just so used to speaking the language in the country she studies in that she blanked.

South Africans would never say that - we have 11 official languages (google it- no bullshit)

I live in the Netherlands just across the border of Germany. Every day thousands of Germans cross the border to go and shop. Very rarely do any of them speak Dutch. Yet most Dutch speak decent German. So I really get annoyed when they expect foreigners to speak German.

Ik worked at an international helpdesk, Helping German clients, speaking to my colleagues in in English, trying to speak French to Walons, and returning home to speak Dutch.. I would pick up the phone and answer in any of those languages..

All of you guys saying how rude it was for them to not learn it or they should be better at it if they're returning, you read it wrong. The OP is German and they're studying abroad, naturally you'd get a bit confused with the languages after using the other for so long.