This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By LAbound - 21/03/2019 18:00

Today, I told my parents that I don’t plan on going to college. Later on I found out that they plan on giving my college funds they saved up to my older brother’s girlfriend. My parents response was “Well she an aerospace engineer, and can’t afford school. She needs the money more than you”. FML
I agree, your life sucks 423
You deserved it 2 034

Top comments

It’s their money that they put aside in case you went to college. You chose not to do that, they get to do whatever they want with the money. And instead of keeping it for themselves, they generously offered it to someone who truly needs it. Good for them.

What's wrong with that? Did you expect them to hand over the money they put aside for your college education even though you weren't going? "Mom, Dad, I'm not going to college after all, but can I have the money you saved for it, anyway? I want to take a road trip, and I've seen a really stylin' Aygo for $6500, so I'm thinking of buying it, and using the rest so I can bail myself out of jail when I try to become the first person to do meth in all 50 states." Your brother's girlfriend seems to have an idea of where she wants to go in her life, so it's up to your parents if they want to give their money to her, whether she stays with your brother, or not.

Comments

So, what I'm getting from this is that your parents saved up the money to pay for College on your behalf and you essentially spat it back in their faces, and then proceeded to whine about the money being given to someone else who is actually interested in pursuing further education? To summarise: "I have parents who care about me, my life sucks." Ungrateful little shit.

The least they could do is wait until the girlfriend actually marries your brother. I look forward to the lawsuit your parents will bring when the girlfriend dumps your brother after your parents pay for her school.

It's called a gift, idiot. You don't give someone a birthday present and tell them you want it back if they die.

TxKitten79 10

Why should they wait? And why would they sue her if she broke up with their son. If they tried to do so, it'd get thrown out on the basis that she had no contractual obligations tied to the GIFT.

bl3ur0z3 17

You're not going to school, she has high aspirations, I don't see a problem.

jjuuuuuuulless 10

She does need it more than you. Im sorry but shes actually furthering her education and you arent, there is nothing wrong with them wanting to help her better herself.

"Waaaah, I can't get money that doesn't belong to me because I have no desire to go to college." Get the **** over yourself. Even if your parents were stupid enough to hand the money over to you, what are you gonna do with it anyway?

So? You aren't entitled to that money. It was meant to fund a college education, and your parents have been extraordinarily generous to give someone else that chance. And it sounds like she'll make the most of it as well. Your FML didn't specify (though it could be because of character limit) but did you have a plan for the future? Non-college plans that require funding, like starting a business? I'd sympathize with this FML more if that was the case. If not, then please get over yourself.

What? Did you really think that they were going to give the money to you?

Playing devil’s advocate, but if the parents were setting it aside in a savings in OP’s name (which they could have been doing since OP is a minor), then the money does belong to OP. If they made an account in their name for it, then you’re SOL OP.

FML: Revenge of FML’s from last week