We're in Hell

By GetMeOut - 23/05/2022 14:01

Today, it’s my first day staying with my aunt since the untimely passing of my parents last week. So far, she slapped my phone out my hand for being on the phone with a guy, feeds me vegan food, and told me to “turn off that black people music.” Only a year and a half left until I turn 18. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 994
You deserved it 106

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm not sure how exactly that'd work out, but couldn't you contact CPS? While you're close to being off age, you're still a minor, and therefore should be allowed protection from an abusive tutor, especially since your parents passed away. In France we have a procedure called "emancipation" which allows a minor at least 16-years old to be legally treated as an adult, is there something similar in your country maybe? Also, in the event you inherited some money from your parents, make sure your aunt does not have access to it. At the very least, since you're 16, you should have a lot of agency in deciding who your tutor is. Hopefully you have other relatives that could take you in?

Wadlaen 23

My double condolences! And I hope the year will go as fast as possible for you OP!

Comments

She's just trying to get you to focus on your studies and eat healthy. And why does anyone listen to anything other than John Tesh music?

I'm not sure how exactly that'd work out, but couldn't you contact CPS? While you're close to being off age, you're still a minor, and therefore should be allowed protection from an abusive tutor, especially since your parents passed away. In France we have a procedure called "emancipation" which allows a minor at least 16-years old to be legally treated as an adult, is there something similar in your country maybe? Also, in the event you inherited some money from your parents, make sure your aunt does not have access to it. At the very least, since you're 16, you should have a lot of agency in deciding who your tutor is. Hopefully you have other relatives that could take you in?

They can’t get you emancipated on the grounds of feeding you vegan foods, but they may be able to help get you emancipate if you can prove you can do adult things like work and support yourself. Foster care is like rolling the dice. Some are great and some are nightmares but know how to work the system. Did your parents have a will and a life insurance policy? You have a right to know, If they had both they probably left you some money and if so you have a right to some of that money and to spend it any way you want. Clothes, shoes, food, maybe a vehicle if you have a license and phone within reason. Do you have a school counselor? If so you may want to talk to him or her. Document everything. It may be needed if things don’t get better. Good luck.

49_Donuts 12

First off, Losing parents is hell. Im sorry for your loss. Your aunt is grieving too though, she lost a sister or a brother. Hopefully you can figure out her style and adapt.

Maybe auntie can figure out op's style as well and stop being a hose

These are tragic circumstances, OP lost her parents and aunt lost her sibling. And it sounds like Aunt has no real experience as a “parent”. I sympathize with OP and with the aunt. Hopefully the relationship will stabilize and become more “normal” once the two of you adjust. You cannot change your aunt’s personality and values, but you should be able to help her understand that you need more understanding. Many people who are not parents think they would be much better than actual parents but often badly misunderstand the need for give and take in the relationship - especially with older teens. Sadly you are likely going to have to learn to deal with aunt’s vegan food because she probably does that out of personal conviction and is not likely to start cooking non-vegan. But it won’t kill you and you might actually see some health benefits. But it doesn’t mean you have to be vegan outside of aunt’s home - Just don’t rub her nose in tasty non-vegan food you are having outside her home. There is one more possibility - It is just possible that Aunt doesn’t really like being a parent to a teenager and she’s making things intentionally unpleasant for that reason. That’s something you would have to have a heart to heart, non-judgmental talk with aunt. You could start by telling her how glad you are that she took you in under these circumstances and then move on to asking her if the situation is working for her. You might find there are things she’s equally unhappy about and maybe you can find some compromise.

Wadlaen 23

My double condolences! And I hope the year will go as fast as possible for you OP!

wysegirl 24

get imancipated sorry on the spelling. sorry for your loss OP. you don't need to live in hell just to survive.