By happymum - 29/08/2011 11:17 - Netherlands

Today, my husband, who's a recovering alcoholic, and I are on holiday with our kids. He's decided he can have a few drinks because he deserves "a holiday too". He doesn't see why this should ruin ours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 640
You deserved it 3 172

happymum_fml tells us more.

happymum_fml 10

He got my point in THE end. Took me a while though!

Top comments

SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOT SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS EVERYBODY...even the alchoholic cus it's vacation!!

What a way to ruin an holiday. Drinking isn't an "holiday" while you're on holiday. Try taking his money off him :)

Comments

Alot of the FMLs on this site remind me of my family... my dad did this recently.

ScaryGirl 4

Have you ever thought that you may be ruining the holiday with your overreaction to this?

IMO there is no such thing as over reacting to an alcoholic falling off the wagon. Alcoholism and drug addiction are family diseases, meaning that they affect and harm the whole family. When you are in recovery you must be SOBER, from everything, at all times. One drink, one hit, one pill, one anything puts your sobriety, your family and yourself in grave danger.

happymum_fml 10

Couldn't agree more closeknitfamily!!!

My dad is an alcoholic as well as he's trying to recover. Cross my fingers that his recovering himself works. I remember hearing him barf one morning and I wanted to 1. Barf myself.. And 2. Run away for good and slap him across the face.

happymum_fml 10

I can imagine! I really hope he'll pull himself together again, 'cause I won't let my kids go through that! Don't want to leave but will have to if it come's to it. He's been sober for 2,5 yrs before so I do have hope...

Support as in? Accepting the verbal and physical abuse? Accepting the financial strain and/or debt? Accepting the humiliating behavior? Accepting the fact that they will never be truly reliable, responsible and whole. He beaks his AA commitment. You show him the door.

shopfitch 7

The same thing happened when I went on holiday with one of my parents. I ended up flying home to days early.

1fingerup 0

I, too, am a recovering alcoholic and I'm on your man's side on this one. He does deserve to have his own holiday. Not being drunk after having been drunk all of the time is hard work. Don't look down on someone for the one negative. Commend their hard work and give in. Lord knows he has been.

A recovering alcoholic or anyone with an addiction to something they're trying to get away from should NEVER get a "holiday too" the point of recovering is to not have that ever again!

To all the people saying that he should drink, that's not okay. My dad has been sober for 15 years, and he still can't drink because he doesn't want to risk losing what he's gained. OP, I'm glad your husband is seeing clearly because of AA meetings, and I wish you the best of luck!