By JDziewaltowski - 24/05/2013 07:42 - United States

Today, I was torn from my car and slammed against the hood because a canister of window-cleaning wipes I keep in my glove compartment apparently looks vaguely like a pipe-bomb. My lawyer agreed with the cops, and won't handle the "excessive force" case I threatened the police with. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 589
You deserved it 4 418

JDziewaltowski tells us more.

After speaking with the chief of police, the officer who stopped me, and a lawyer, we've all come to the conclusion that yes, it was a case of excessive force. The officer took a split second glance, and "panicked" No I'm not sue happy, I got my apology, even though I could take it to court, win, and "**** the police" I'm not. At the end of the conversation, we even had a laugh at the fact that officer aggression needs a chill pill. Although I did get a pretty decent bruise on my chest/shoulder. No harm done.

Top comments

That sucks for you and you should totally file a complaint. But look at this from a cops point of view: they could either use force or run the risk of it being an actual bomb. Even though it sucks for you they're just trying to be safe.

Comments

middlenamefrank 8

Sounds like you either need a new lawyer, or you're not telling us the whole story. Why were the cops in your glove box anyhow?

Wealthyparrot 9

There's no need for them to use force. That's just pure bullshit. If you try to run, or blow something up actively, then force is suggested. By the way... get a new damn lawer.

By the time the suspect is actively trying to kill the cop or detonate the bomb its too late for the cop. The perp has the advantage of surprise

Only people in The USA can be so obsessed!

Were the police already searching your car? What did you do to warrant a search?

Atchoo 8

Wow, there are an awful lot of assumptions begin made about this case, on both sides, for the amount of information provided. I definitely agree with getting a second opinion from a different lawyer, but I really have to wonder what led up to the search to begin with and what basis the lawyer had for saying the case had no merit.

After speaking with the chief of police, the officer who stopped me, and a lawyer, we've all come to the conclusion that yes, it was a case of excessive force. The officer took a split second glance, and "panicked" No I'm not sue happy, I got my apology, even though I could take it to court, win, and "**** the police" I'm not. At the end of the conversation, we even had a laugh at the fact that officer aggression needs a chill pill. Although I did get a pretty decent bruise on my chest/shoulder. No harm done.

klovemachine 24

At least this story has a happy ending :-) some cops are a waste of space but I respect the good ones :-)

At least you got an apology and acknowledgement that they were in the wrong. I can't believe the people who are saying it was fine!

sofineedsaladder 10

Good guy OP. I'm glad everything got sorted out.

and to answer a few more questions: He stopped me for a broken running light, no he wasn't searching my car, he asked for registration, which was in the glove box and when I opened it, he saw the canister.

And the name of your (hopefully previous) lawyer is?..

I won't give out his name obviously, he's done well for me on numerous occasions. He's also a family friend.