By JDziewaltowski - 24/05/2013 07:42 - United States

Today, I was torn from my car and slammed against the hood because a canister of window-cleaning wipes I keep in my glove compartment apparently looks vaguely like a pipe-bomb. My lawyer agreed with the cops, and won't handle the "excessive force" case I threatened the police with. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 589
You deserved it 4 418

JDziewaltowski tells us more.

After speaking with the chief of police, the officer who stopped me, and a lawyer, we've all come to the conclusion that yes, it was a case of excessive force. The officer took a split second glance, and "panicked" No I'm not sue happy, I got my apology, even though I could take it to court, win, and "**** the police" I'm not. At the end of the conversation, we even had a laugh at the fact that officer aggression needs a chill pill. Although I did get a pretty decent bruise on my chest/shoulder. No harm done.

Top comments

That sucks for you and you should totally file a complaint. But look at this from a cops point of view: they could either use force or run the risk of it being an actual bomb. Even though it sucks for you they're just trying to be safe.

Comments

The first question is did the police act according to protocol or did he step over the line. Dragging someone away physically from a possible explosive device doesn't sound like the wrong move to me. But the real question is did your attorney refuse the case because he's afraid of fighting the police or because in his professional opinion you don't have a reasonable case? If it's the first case, get a new lawyer and press on. If it's the second get a second opinion and move from there. I can't say YDI or FYL without having more information as to the actual situation. What time of day was it. Could the cop get a good look at the box? If it was full broad day it's more likely to be an overreaction on his part than if it's dark and he catches only a glimpse. There's just not enough information available in 300 characters in this case for me to make any sort of reasonable judgement.

Working in a law enforcement field, this is the first logical comment I have seen. Now not only does everything you said have to be applied, but also one has to remember that when justifying any particular use of force all the LEO has to prove is that the force used would be comparable to that used by any other person out there. With that said think of this situation this way: Maybe that object that possibly resembled a pipe bomb was put there by someone else other than the OP, and that it was really going to explode. With that in mind, think about this: On a motor vehicle what is the part that will provide the most cover from projectiles? Usually projectiles equates to bullets but in this case the projectiles would be whatever was packed into that pipe bomb. Maybe ball bearings, shards of glass, tacks, or nails. The answer to this question is either the engine or the wheel. In this case, seeing the supposed pipe bomb came from the glove compartment, which happens to be on the opposite side of the engine compartment/engine, what the LEO is said to have done actually makes a lot of sense. Someone who suddenly finds himself/herself staring at an object that they think will explode very well may act like this in the same exact circumstances. Now given the small chance that it really was a pipe bomb put there by someone else that really did explode, I'm sure OP wouldn't have any issues about being slammed up against the hood of the car. Although I would be willing to bet OP is withholding more than what is being told, if this is even an event that truly happened, I would still consult another lawyer.

perdix 29

Send your lawyer a real pipe-bomb, just so he learns what one looks like before he dies.

yzzami 17

If they confused a container of wipes with a bomb, I fear for the safety of the future citizens they encounter

File a complaint with the sergeant and get another lawyer.

If you're slammed against your own hood than I don't see why they were trying to protect you or anyone else. I guess the actual video footage from the squad car could explain the unknown.

Phoebe_Buffay 14

I would normally say that they just weren't taking the risk, but what were the cops doing looking through your glove compartment???

I would assume they caught a glimpse of it as OP was reaching for the registration/proof of insurance

Phoebe_Buffay 14

I'm curious to know why OP got pulled over in the first place. "License and registra--BOMB!!!!!!"

Kelishas 9

I feel like we're missing part of the story here, why were the cops looking in your glove compartment in the first place? Had you been pulled over and for what?

I agree with you. Why would they be able to see what is inside OP's glove compartment? OP must have done something to get their car searched, unless it was spotted when he opened it to get his registration.

Find a new lawyer cause that is bullshit. Don't let that cop get away with it.