By navygirl96 - 04/03/2015 03:54 - United States - Arvada

Today, I was expecting a card from my husband stationed in Japan, but he mailed it to my mom. Since I'm busy and don't see her much, she tried to help by mailing it to me. It's long overdue, and the post office never got it. The card came from Japan, only to get lost traveling from 30 minutes away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 616
You deserved it 2 741

navygirl96 tells us more.

navygirl96 14

Hi guys, I'm the author of this FML. To clarify I am not lazy or too busy for my mom. I work 10 hour night shifts and go to school. My mom is very sweet and was trying to help me out so I wouldn't have to make a special trip during my work week, and because she knew how excited I was for the card. My husband works 60 hour weeks so he probably didn't think about it. Thank you for the all the kind comments, many of you are very kind.

Top comments

I was expecting this to end with her mum reading a dirty letter from her husband

The Post Office is always misplacing stuff. -_- Hope it eventually finds its way to you.

Comments

Too busy to see your own mother and pick up a card from your husband thousands of miles away? You may need to change your life priorities.

she probably skypes him every night so didnt put a priority on picking it up

Aren't you a little quick to judge? Not many people have the time to hop in a car and drive half an hour away whenever they please (plus the time consumed by the actual visit with her mom and then another half hour drive back home). If OP is busy with her own life, it actually sounds like her priorities are in order.

With the information available on every one of these FMLs we make quick judgements, that is the entire point!

Dude, there's some people that can't drop everything and do something THEY want. I bet my paycheck OP would have rather went to get the letter, but as most know, life can't be put on hold. We don't have a universal controller that pauses time so we can do something WE want. If she is busy then likely it's for work or other things that need to be tended to before anything else. If she could put them on hold for a few hours I betcha she would have. Don't be so quick to judge, man.

How did this get through moderation? Mail gets lost all the time. Dull.

thunderniron 22

Thinking maybe you should have made the time to drive 30 minutes to pick it up and see your mother. Nobodies that busy.

Ah! My boyfriend is also working out in Japan, I'm in Europe. We would both hate for that kind of thing to happen! Japan has excellent postal/delivering service - it has never taken more than 10 days for either side to receive a package or letter, in my experience. But it took 3 weeks for a bloody postcard to go from central Europe to Ireland. They also lost my mom's official U.S. citizenship documents on transatlantic posting (she's an immigrant so it's a disaster). And erm, wasting money on postage for somewhere 30 minutes away? Surely your Mom could have swung by your house and put it in the mail slot...

onceabm 12

Op, that really sucks, I used to be stationed in Japan too, in fact my profile pic is of me when I was there! Snail mail from or to there can really suck sometimes... I can understand that you were busy and all but why couldn't your mom just hold on to it until you could pick it up?

I'm sure they are in contact via electronics. But it is nice to get a romantic letter in the mail.

Well you can likely say sayonara to the chance of ever receiving that letter I guess

If she lives 30 minutes away, maybe ypu should've went over there and got it instead.

Are you and your mom actually that lazy? If you Wanted the card so badly I'm sure at some point in the near future you would be passing by and could just get it then

MehNameIsJuan 15

Daughter's fail, not mom's. The mother was trying to be helpful by sending it to her daughter. OP should be visiting her mother anyway.

Yes, because nobody can have busy points in their lives where they can't just drop everything in the name of a visit.