By Kels20 - 07/05/2009 14:18 - United States

Today, I released some ducks I had hand raised with my sisters at a local lake. They were raised around my huge German Shepherd, which explains why they didn't freak out when two huge dogs came out of no where and killed three of them, in front of my little sisters. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 814
You deserved it 7 482

Kels20 tells us more.

Ok... I'm the lady who raised the ducks and I'm not an idiot. 1. at my lake all the female ducks except 2 have been killed or something and only males are left. So I raised some in hope of balancing the equation and hopefully see some chicks within a while. 2. I've done this before, and ducks are wild, so they have know how to survive without me, the other ones did great, but they turned out to be all male except one female, so that's why I tried again the next year. And the ducks that are born in the wild at my lake are hand fed by the people that live here and aren't scared, they run to you thinking that you have bread. 3. I found out later that the dogs that had killed the ducks had also killed some ones kittens, and a cat as well as another small dog. They are now in the animal shelter because they were dangerous. 4. My sisters were upset but next year I'll just get some more, I enjoy watching them grow, and they other four ducks are doing great, surviving like all the other ducks. :) so yeah, not an idiot, just wanted to clear that up. I thought the story would make some people laugh... so I shared it. Have a nice day... God bless.

Top comments

Comments

waxstigmata 0

54- you are awsome! OP, you were just trying to help, but you ended up doing more harm than good

scorpioserpent 1

awwwww :( And whether they are domestic ducks or now, wth has the right to let their dogs at a public lake when they have that killer instinct?

This is exactly why it is illegal in most states to possess wild animals. You need a permit to raise orphans exactly so this won't happen. Unless you know what you're doing, those animals don't learn the survival techniques they need to survive in the wild.

Frozen1 0

There you were, with no video camera for the million hit YouTube vid. Actually it does suck, when I was little I had a baby chick that followed me around all over the place, until a Labrador Retriever did what came natural and snarfed it up.

ahhh. thank you, thank you. i got to pull out the AP Bio shiz on this one. Thank you Lorenz for shining the light on what we should NOT do for wild animals. -bows- annnnnd now i feel like a dork. haha.

alisonk 0

I don't think many ducks die of old age in the wild, so it was going to happen to them sooner or later even if they were somehow trained to be ninja warrior ducks. The kids have a healthy respect for animals now.

litttlelaura 0

Hmm sounds freakishly similar to the story from about a week ago about the elementary school teacher releasing butterflies which were eaten by birds in front of the whole class. Except that one sounded original.

LeftHanded_fml 0

Why would you even consider hand raising duck and THEN relesing them into the world WHILE there were two dogs around?