By MWSL01 - 18/04/2017 05:50 - United States - Duluth

Today, I found out my parents never naturalized me. I'm adopted from a country I've never been to, and now I could be deported there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 012
You deserved it 597

William Sever tells us more.

To clarify, I was born in a foreign country and adopted at less than a month old. My parents are both US citizens. I was never naturalized.

Top comments

That is a horrible situation to be in op. Hope that everything works out!

This one is totally on your idiotic parents. I don't know what prevented or prevents them from seeking citizenship. There is nothing that serious unless you were kidnapped. Other than that, they have potentially ruined everything that you have built in your country. I really want to know how old you are; this is like a damn Lifetime movie.

Comments

That is a horrible situation to be in op. Hope that everything works out!

Meggie41 1

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

This one is totally on your idiotic parents. I don't know what prevented or prevents them from seeking citizenship. There is nothing that serious unless you were kidnapped. Other than that, they have potentially ruined everything that you have built in your country. I really want to know how old you are; this is like a damn Lifetime movie.

OP (and meggie41), I literally can't think of anything funny or sarcastic to respond with. My heart hurts for you both, and anyone in your situation. Hugs and solidarity to you both!

To follow up on this I'm old enough to know how bad this is. And to know that with our current administration I'm likely on the chopping block.

oh ****. come to Seattle. the legal system here has freed people from the ICE system several times. maybe a probono lawyer can help you quickly get the things you need to be safe.

I guess it was no big deal until the current asshole-in-chief got Putin office.

Lucky O'Guin 18

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I mean he couldve been a couple of months/years old when he was adopted. Where he lives now is basically all he has the recollection of knowing.

I had a friend in high school who had a little sister adopted from China. And I knew another girl who was adopted from China. Adopting from foreign countries really isn't that odd.

species4872 19

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
species4872 19

Immigration cannot remove a U.S. citizen. You may be a citizen if: you were born in the U.S., including Puerto Rico (8 U.S.C. §1401 or you were born in another country but one parent was a U.S. citizen and lived in the U.S. for certain periods of time prior to your birth (8 U.S.C. §1401(g) or you were born in another country but one or both of your parents naturalized and became citizens when you were under 18 and living in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident (8 U.S.C. §1432(a) or you were found in the U.S. while under the age of 5 and your parents are unknown (8 U.S.C. §1401(f)).

Druu 53

You may want to re-read: "The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth: (a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1401 An individual born in the United states to parents who are undocumented are U.S. citizens. Given the recent push to deport undocumented individuals, many of them are turning to pro bono legal services who are helping individuals grant guardianship to friends or family members who are citizens. This way, if the parents are deported, the minor children go into the care of the appointed guardian instead of being taken into the care of ACS (American Child Services). Source: I am an attorney. If you are a minor child of undocumented parents, shoot me a message and I will try to locate volunteer attorneys in your area to assist you with guardianship documents.

To clarify, I was born in a foreign country and adopted at less than a month old. My parents are both US citizens. I was never naturalized.

Druu 53

So you've been there. That clarification would have saved this thread from some snarky remarks!

@William Sever: Are you OP? Your comment sounds like you are OP, but OP's name is MWSL01.

I am, I submitted this before I had an account. MWSL01 is a school server name

Do you have an attorney working your case?? Message Druu!

I never realized that if you're adopted from another country, your parents would have to naturalize you. I always thought the act of adopting someone and going through all that paperwork automatically made the child a citizen. This is really interesting to learn as I would like to adopt children one day. I'm so sorry for the situation you're in. You are obviously here legally though, aren't you? If you are legally adopted but not a citizen, you would be a permanent resident, would you not?