By Anonymous - 26/09/2018 16:30 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I finally sought help for my alcoholism. They told me they wouldn't help me until I'd stopped drinking. Um... what? FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 267
You deserved it 393

Top comments

You stop, then they help make sure you don't fall off the wagon.

Good job for taking that first step! Now put down that beer and go to another AA meeting. By the time you get there, you will have been sober for at least thirty minutes.

Comments

You stop, then they help make sure you don't fall off the wagon.

Good job for taking that first step! Now put down that beer and go to another AA meeting. By the time you get there, you will have been sober for at least thirty minutes.

Squidgegg 4

How strange. You think they'd offer you help with quitting, like Quitting Smoking programs...?

They do help you with quitting but it’s common knowledge that AA helps keep you from drinking WHEN you’ve stopped.

KingAdrock 16

You mean AA *tries* to help, although they usually fail. Studies show AA is no more effective than trying to quit by yourself.

Unnecessary pessimism aside, the OP didn’t understand that AA is not rehab. They can’t stop you from drinking, they have to actually do it themselves and AA tries to help maintain sobriety.

Squidgegg 4

Common knowledge to who? This guy's from England. Maybe he isn't using Alcoholics Anonymous. Maybe he's using an NHS funded program? AA isn't as prevalent in the UK as it is in the US.

WeirdUS 29

Unless it's an rehab the general assumption is you've quit drinking already and need help with cravings not people actively drinking.

go back and take their business sign down they don't deserve to have one

Generally bad form to attend meetings with a beer in your hand.

Stay sober for a day. That's how it starts. Then try to stay sober for another. It gets easier and easier. The first two weeks are the toughest. Go to meetings and keep going. Go twice or three times a day if you need to, just don't drink. I know it is hard to believe, but you will really feel better and be better sober. Your health will improve and you will begin to have clarity that you haven't had in a long time. I spent 30 years drunk and the last two years sober have been the best times of my life. You can do it and there are people there to support you. Get yourself a big blue book and start reading. There is a lot of wisdom in those pages.

If your not ready or don’t want to ever stop drinking completely but want help you need to seek out an independent mental health professional aka therapist or PHD not a rehab that type of program always requires you to quit 100% before the can help you stay sober. Also an independent therapist will be able to help you talk through all kinds other emotional issues in your life that might be leading you to drink too often and make bad decisions. Good Job on taking the first step being honest with yourself and identifying the problem. After working with a therapist maybe someday you’ll be ready to take the full step of going completely sober. Good luck stay strong and use Uber!

Just keep drinking and don’t think of yourself as an alcoholic — you’re a drunk! Alcoholics are sad and have a disease, but drunks are funny!