By easteryegg - 06/04/2013 00:13 - United States - Rensselaer

Today, at the store, I noticed a girl eyeing a chocolate bunny. Her mom refused to buy it, saying they didn't have enough money. She started crying, so I decided to make her day and offered to buy it for her. Her mom reacted by slapping me across the face and calling me a "pedo." FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 692
You deserved it 8 600

easteryegg tells us more.

easteryegg 8

Op, here. I'm fifteen years old and am absolutely not a pedo. I am a boy and thought that I was doing something good for the girl. All of the comments about healthy eating habits are not true, the woman was buying a lot of candy, but wouldn't let the girl have the rabbit. Idk why, she reminded me of my little cousin and I decided to buy it for her. The mother did keep the rabbit, though, so I don't know why she lashed out at me :/

Top comments

stevenJB 25

Why're complete douche bags becoming parents?!

Oh my god, some people don't know what being kind, and considerate is.

Comments

As a parent is know that I have said "we can't afford it" as a way to stop a conversation with out it leading to a fit. I also wouldn't have turned down a generous offer and used the opportunity to show my kids the kindness in the world and teach them gratitude.

Her reaction was definitely wrong, but it also wasn't your place to offer to buy that bunny. Mom was saying no, and the money might have been her excuse to end any debate of the answer. You coming in like that was just undermining the mother's authority.

onorexveritas 23

she most likely really didn't want her child getting hyper

damn. that was a nice thing that you tried to do. better luck next time.

OP, did it occur to you that perhaps the mom didn't want her child to have it because it's candy? I know my coworkers will tell their kids they have no money when their kids want to buy something. You overstepped your boundaries but she didn't have to slap you.

Why are so many people so free I slap or hit another person??

ZacZ 8

Poor OP, there aren't as many kind hearted people in this world left, and you are one of them. The little girl's mother was wrong to do that.

I understand you were simply nice, and mother over-reacted by far. At the same time, while I don’t know exact circumstances, the mother could have a point? If you buy a child anything it wants, you end up with pretty spoiled brat... Mom could be teaching a lesson, could be limiting sweets - they are not healthy no matter what we want... I’m just saying, you don’t know exact circumstances and you undermined mother’s authority a bit : ). But no matter what they were, her reaction was just awful and for that FYL :)

Even though the mother's reaction was completely inappropriate (and certainly more criminal than OP's offer), I think it's best not to get involved in such a situation when you're unsure of the parent's intent. With that said, what also bothers me about this FML is how some of you feel it's okay to lie to a child just to get out of an argument. If it's not okay for one adult to lie to another, and we teach children not to lie to others, then how is it acceptable for us to lie to them? If you don‘t want your child to have chocolate because it‘s unhealthy then teach them why it‘s important to eat things that are healthy and to enjoy sweets in moderation. And if you really can‘t afford something that your child is asking for then take the time to help them understand why we can‘t just buy everything we want. If you make an effort to explain things to a child you might just find they're not so difficult to get along with after all. The whole idea of telling white lies to keep a child quiet is just the lazy adults way of always getting what THEY want. Seems a little ‘childish‘, don't you think?