Thanks for the support

By depressed - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Hull

Today, I finally told my dad about how I've been diagnosed with clinical depression. He began to recite a commercial for depression meds, but he couldn't finish because he was overwhelmed with laughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 893
You deserved it 4 127

Top comments

JJ_Rokk 10

Depression hurts... Cymbalta can help.

Call a doctor if you experience an erection lasting for four hours. Oh wait...

Comments

That is truly terrible OP, one of the most important things to do is surround yourself with supportive, encouraging people. Never let negative comments get you down, hope you get better.

And that's ladies and gentleman is most likely the reason Why op is depressed

I'm sorry op. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and my sister used to make fun of me and say I was just overreacting to everything when I was having an attack. People don't take anxiety or depression seriously. Just ignore him. Surround yourself with supportive people. Do what you have to do to get yourself healthy. Good luck op!

I agree! I can't even count all the times I've heard people say things like, "Just snap out of it!" If someone has diabetes, would you tell them to just snap out of it? Well, this is NO different.

Yeah, I don't have any emotional or psychological disorders, but I always thought it strange when people would pick on people with them, or even someone who's just socially awkward. I mean, if people with those kinds of problems could help being that way, they wouldn't be that way.

BellaBelle_fml 23

I hate the logic of 'Well you look healthy and you're young so you must be healthy. Get over it.' Invisible illnesses are so difficult to manage and to get some people to understand. I have chronic health problems that are not physically visible, Crohn's disease, arthritis, fibromyalgia, clinical depression, and severe panic attacks that have hospitalized me. I have the hardest time finding a doctor who will actually listen to me and take me seriously because I am so young and my health problems are 'invisible'. I have actually been told, "Oh you're too young to have health problems. And you're too young to be in any pain." I got so fed up with hearing that so much that the last time a doctor told me that I responded with, "Ok, so by your logic if you take a new born infant and ripped their arm off they wouldn't scream in pain because they are 'too young' to have pain?! Your logic is severely flawed. There is no sign that says, 'You must be this old to have pain.' I will not be seeing you any longer." Thankfully I have found a doctor who does listen to me and has put me on a great treatment plan that is working very well.

Large amounts of sleep, loss of interest, loss of appetite, if you're over 20 and haven't felt those at any point in your life then I envy you...

ninjaqueen101 18

That's just it. At some point everyone has experienced those things. It doesn't mean they're depressed. All it is, is a mind over matter thing.

BellaBelle_fml 23

Yes, everyone has experienced those things. And yes, some people are milking it to get attention. But to say that it's simply mind over matter in every case is just plain ignorant. In most cases these types of problems are due to a chemical imbalance in your brain. There is absolutely nothing that person can do to fix it without being treated with the proper medications to bring those chemicals into proper balance once again.

What an asshole your dad is OP I know this is much easier said than done, but take absolutely no notice of anything he says or does. How anyone can react like that to anyone let alone their own child is beyond me. If you were my child I would endeavour to support you in any way I possibly could. Your dad should be ashamed of himself. Best of luck to you and try and stay strong xxx

This is truly terrible, OP. I hope you have more supportive people on your side also. Seek all the help you can get. Good luck.

Find a good support system (even if it's just one person), eat healthy (what goes in effects your moods), exercise (it releases endorphins, AKA happy hormones), and don't give up on finding a medicine for yourself that really helps balance the hormones in your brain that aren't as they should be (it may take a long time to find the right one). I have severe depression and anxiety so I know what it's like. All these things make life a little easier. Take care of yourself and think positively. Life is tough but also beautiful.

JustSarah 13

I'm really sorry for you OP. I understand you very well, I have depression myself and always listen from my mom that I'm overreacting and that going to church would solve all my problems. Some people are simply tactless, others don't understand and can't handle with someone who is depressed. Just ignore your dad and seek for help and for people who can support and understand you. Good luck!

Yes!!! sound advice. Take it from those who understand this fight. ignore yhose who just dismiss your problem and tell you to just "be happy". I also wanna say this - do NOT take up the habit of eating alone in a room by yourself or hiding to cry in confined spaces. Firstly, eating alone makes you selfish psychologically, thus in the long run harder to get help. Secondly. These rooms and activities become associated with your darkest thoughts and become triggers to your depression. You'll find that doing everyday things will just start to exacerbate your illness and this is exactly why. Very dangerous practices. When you eat, eat with your family, even if you don't feel comfortable. After crying, do not remain alone to obsess over negative thoughts. IMMEDIATELY find a place where there are others but you can maintain your privacy (e.g. library) and ease yourself into another activity such as reading or drawing or reading fml.