Healthcare in the US is so ******

By angry! - 23/07/2023 13:00 - United States - Hesperia

Today, I find it to be absolute horseshit that I’ve been denied disability benefits even though I’ve been in and out (mostly in) treatment for cancer over the past four years. Meanwhile my 600 lbs+ neighbor has been draining the system for decades. I can’t even find a pro bono attorney to help. FML
I agree, your life sucks 908
You deserved it 109

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The SSA denies the vast majority of claims because of all the scammers and cheaters out there.

Comments

The SSA denies the vast majority of claims because of all the scammers and cheaters out there.

Nikki 16

Or are they the scammers and cheats for withholding money from people who deserve it?

g8r317 3

Disability lawyers typically get payment after you win and it’s usually back pay for the months you’ve applied

I'd say it's more to do with the *fear/concern* about scammers and cheaters than any actual evidence that it's a widespread problem. Do scammers/cheaters exist? Sure, just the same as anything else. But I remember reading that the number of people caught and charged/convicted of cheating the system was comically low. Something in the neighbourhood of not even 1% of people in the system., IIRC [Yes, that's at least partially because a lot of potential fraudsters are filtered out by current procedures, but at the cost of making the whole process miserable for all applicants, and as with OP, denying legitimate claims because of a presumption of guilt rather than innocence]. It also makes for a convenient target as opposed to say, rich assholes hiding just how rich they are from the system, and avoiding appropriate taxes on it - Y'know, if government reserves are such a concern.

I mean, it sucks that your claim's being denied. That's absolute garbage, for sure. But at the same time, your neighbour is not your enemy here. They're presumably disabled and their claim has been accepted. Regardless of how their disability came about, they do need the help, same as you. Those who would seek to avoid spending any tax/government money on helping anyone would rather you be angry at your neighbour for their need than about the greed of the rich assholes controlling the system and manipulating people into voting to keep it useless. Solidarity with each other is how we push back.

I'm sure many lawyers like U2. Or is it that they're too "Jousha Tree" and you are more "Achtung, Baby?"

Your neighbour could be fat because of a disability. I was a gym rat till my accident bed ridden for months with extream pain permenant in one leg to the point I on highly addictive pain killers and can’t shift the weight because of immobility and because I was born diabetic I can’t starvediet because I could go intohypoglycimic shock. So don’t judge on appearance.