Fishing

By Veronica - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United States - San Francisco

Today, I asked my dad if he thought my dress was nice, and if guys would go for me. He replied, "Shit, depends on how drunk they are." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 899
You deserved it 4 986

Top comments

LittleRed79 39

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you'd ask your FATHER whether he thought guys would be "into" you based on what you were wearing. Probably not how he wants to view his daughter. Just saying.

Comments

If her dad hates it it means she looks good in it. he knows the guys will want her and doesn't want her to wear it

Knock knock Who's there? Youdaf Youdaf who? Youdaf to be drunk to think that dress looks nice

@ #22, Knock knock Who's there? Yucant Yucant who? Yucant just make knock jokes with made up words.

Noah, not to alarm you, but you proved your own point wrong by making up a word and making a knock knock joke with it.

he was Trying to Correct The person without being An A-HOLE

23- Knock knock Who's there? You're a hypocrite That's not a joke

But 23's joke wasn't funny, so he proved the point.

He was probably messing with you, if not, well then dont take it too personal :) Im sure you look great!

Don't worry OP, my dad's the same, except he thinks he's a comedian.

Looks shouldn't matter. If the dude goes for you just for looks then odds are he ain't a good guy. Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do yourself up and have fun and try and look good. Just don't do it with a guy in mind. What you think is stunning and beautiful is probably going to fit for him as well. If not then forget him.

Wear what you want to wear, and what you feel confident in, not what you think guys will find attractive! (:

As good as this advice is... it doesn't work for everyone. Some people just can't be happy without the approval of others.

As a guy I can say that the most attractive piece of clothing a girl can wear is nothing at all

Not even close in my opinion. The most attractive piece of clothing a girl can wear is something that conceals and reveals without showing. Naked is naked. It's the hint of mystery that makes me salivate.

jimmer23 21

For the sake of all humanity, nobody wants to see you salivate.

jimmer23 21

I'm hoping you and your dad have a charming "back and forth" thing going on, because otherwise your dad is terrible for multiple reasons.

Dad seems frustrated. Don't let him being you down. There is someone for everyone. Keep your head up.

Well I guess that's a shi... No! No. I am better then this.

If you were Better than this you wouldn't if made this comment ....

LittleRed79 39

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you'd ask your FATHER whether he thought guys would be "into" you based on what you were wearing. Probably not how he wants to view his daughter. Just saying.

I agree, even if you guys are very close thats still a very weird thing to ask your dad.

Exactly what I was thinking!! That's why you deserve it! No good dad is going to say "yeah, in that dress all guys are going to want to bang you." Like what did you really expect?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'd never ask my dad anything like that.. Maybe my friend, but dad? Really?

I'm going to step away from the snark for one moment. Bear with me. As the father of a young girl, I'm sick to ******* death of hearing stories of girls being torn down by their fathers, or fathers who don't listen, or fathers who don't give a ****. My #1 job is to be there for my daughter and assure that she grows up happy, healthy, and well-adjusted. I do everything I bloody well can to make sure that happens, even if it means having a tea party on the lawn or letting her paint my nails or listening to her sing "Let It Go" for the 307th time that day. Listen up, gentlemen - when you have kids, be there. Full stop. Now back to your regularly scheduled bullshit.

ahippienamedrae 10

Dads not stepping up and doing their job is probably why society has so many problems

RedPillSucks 31

Dads who don't want their daughters to date might respond this way also

Dads and moms not stepping up and doing their job is probably why society has so many problems <<-- FIX'D!

I agree with you so much on this, Doc. My daughter is my whole world, and I'd do everything in my power to make sure she grows up healthy, happy, and well adjusted. Fathers who act like OP's piss me off on a very deep level!

But, Doc. That's not the point. While I agree that fathers should be there for their daughter in every way possible, tell me, if your daughter came to you asking you this same question what would you say? Because she's low key asking her father wether or not guys would find her attractive enough either date/sleep with/"holla" if you wish, based off her choice in clothing. Would you feel comfortable answering that question with a "Yes, honey, judging by what you're wearing I'd throw myself at you" she's asking him to judge her the way a random guy would probably judge her or look at her and a dad wouldn't look at his daughter that way. Besides, speaking of raising a well adjusted young lady, a father is not gonna accomplish that by giving his daughter the impression that she should be dressing to please guys. Yeah, it wasn't the best response from OPs dad but it avoided sending out that message and maybe just maybe, that's what OPs dad was trying to do. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, I tend to over analyze shit.

Plus, a father who loves his daughter is generally going to be protective of her even if she's an adult so it's natural that the thought of his "little girl" (even she isn't so little anymore) being with a random guy would make him uncomfortable. There's also the fear that the guy could be total jerk who doesn't treat her right or even the unlikely possibility that he could rape or abuse her. To me, the dad seems to be joking and it's more of a "gee thanks Dad you're a real help" FML than because it's offensive.