By MissShei - 11/03/2013 08:37 - United States - Windham

Today, my 3 year old woke up at 2 am and refused to go back to sleep unless she could sleep with her father and me. Normally we would have said no, but both of us being so tired, we said yes. She slowly kicked me out of my side of the bed and now I have to sleep on the couch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 287
You deserved it 15 550

MissShei tells us more.

OP here. She has recently been having nightmares and keeping us up half the night. We were both exhausted so we said fine. I got up to go pee and when I came back, she had thrown my pillow on the floor and completely took over my side of the bed. If I moved her, she would've started screaming again and I just wanted sleep. I let her father deal with her at that point! I did sleep well for the rest of the night :)

Top comments

It's clear who wears the pants in this family . . . and they come from Gap Kids.

BubbleGrunge 18

OP, I'm sure you got better sleep than your hubby did by sleeping on the couch. Sleeping with a three year old isn't exactly restful!

Comments

I'm sorry OP what a brat of a 3 year old you've.

I don't think the 3 year old purposely kicked OP out of the bed

13, go read what OP wrote above you. The child is having nightmares, that doesn't make her a brat.

Don't get me wrong, my kid can be a brat, but she didn't kick me out intentionally. She was asleep and moves around a lot. I was the same way as a child. I don't usually let this happen, but when she's screaming in terror from a nightmare, it's hard not to comfort your own terrified child. Trust me, this was a one time thing.

ManicGypsy 22

OP, it sounds like she might be having night terrors, which are worse than nightmares, and she should probably be seen by a doctor. Just a thought.

chlorinegreen 27

From a very small child to my late teens I had night terrors and when we finally went to the doctor it turned out I had acid reflux. Or GERD. It was pretty bad and I'm lucky I didn't have ulcers, but to the point, the acid reflux actually is what was causing the night terrors. It was additional to many things though. I was frequently sick and could hardly ride a bus without puking. It's better to get it check out early and treated then later on! So glad we got it fixed I'm never sick anymore!

She goes through phases of having them. It's normal for little kids to have nightmare/terrors. She actually does have GERD 40, so maybe that's why? That's interesting though!

Llama_Face89 33

I dunno. 3 year olds can be pretty malicious.

Llama_Face89 33

She's only a brat sometimes.

Hi OP, maybe you should get her checked if she's having so many nightmares like this. Don't forget that 3 year old is the BEST age for manipulating. If she knows you're going to comfort her each and every single night, she's going to keep doing it, just so she can sleep with you guys. I would let her cry out a couple nights, if she's still acting like this then I would take her to the doctor to see if there's something else going on. 3 year olds don't have same problems as we do on a daily basis and shouldn't be so scared all the time. just my two cents from what you told us here. Good luck and hope she feels better soon!

Did you try having both of you tucking into bed, and telling her you'll be there in the morning, etc? I know you were really tired but I think that would have been better than making her more dependent upon you for the smallest things, like sleeping! Haha she can't sleep with you guys forever!

I understand that she is very young, and every child is different. But when my younger sister was 2-3 years old, she would demand to sleep in my bed almost every night due to night terrors (horrible sleepwalking nightmares). After those mostly passed, my family and I realized that she was now dependent on sleeping in a bed with someone else. It took us months to wean her off of it, and even now she still sometimes tries to sneak into our beds before we go to sleep. It was a tough problem to fix. OP's child probably won't become dependent on sleeping with a parent just from one time, but if the parents let her keep coming in bed, that very well might happen.

She's already a pusher at two maybe a bright future at business when she gets older?

She knows what she wants. She gets what she wants.

Fortunately neither of my kids has held my bed hostage. They can be a challenge, but you have to stay firm.

kishorekumar_a 10

65 - Are you sure you really want to know? Its a X-Ray of a coke bottle deep inside someone's pelvis. Guess how it got there???

kishorekumar_a 10

Atleast, you won't be waking up with your child's foot on your face.

How does a 3 year-old kick you from your bed?0_o

I got up to pee and when I came back, she had taken over.

Grow a pair ... your kid is gonna be spoiled rotten if you keep this up.

kishorekumar_a 10

The kid's only three, for heaven's sake.

Llama_Face89 33

Lmao trust me she's already spoiled! :P

I understand the "whatever, just let me sleep!" Try not to make it a habit, however. I have a seven year old that will not sleep in his own bed.