By chachaxxx - 09/11/2011 11:35 - Mexico

Today, it’s my girlfriend’s birthday, so I ordered a cake at the bakery and asked the baker to write “Happy birthday Marie!” in italic, because I think it’s prettier. When I opened the box, I saw “HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIE IN ITALY!” FML
I agree, your life sucks 624
You deserved it 76

Top comments

I swear cake decoraters just write whatever it is they think they hear. Even if it makes no sense at all when written out.

"Happy Birthday Diane And Use a Pretty Font"

Comments

You got screwed! They left out "Because I think it's prettier."

It's a bit late now. This FML is from 2011.

Honestly, as much as the decorator was at fault for not showing you to make sure it was OK, you're at just as much fault for not checking to see if it was alright right then and there - Even if it meant checking while in the store after paying. You could've avoided the issue if you'd checked the cake yourself personally right when at the store.

It says when he opened the box. How do you know he didn't open it at the store? There is nothing that says he waited until he got home to open the box.

Redgy22 26

If Op checked at the store, this wouldn't have been a fml, it would have been an Oops. Plus, italics is not script, so maybe OP needs to learn the difference too.

Yes, because there is a guarantee that the bakery had a cake just sitting around ready to be written on. OP didn't mention what kind of bakery, it could have been a small, made to order deal and OP couldn't get another cake right away. It's not always possible to scrape off the writing and fix the cake, on spot.

Play it off, get 2 tickets to Italy as her gift!

I'd throw her an Italian themed birthday party, and play it off like it's a new thing people do. Add kisses and compliments as needed to dodge questions. Easy.

How is that an FML? It's just a silly mess up. I'm sure your girlfriend appreciated the thought.

If you down voted this, you have an IQ of 0.

mzdaisylynn 12

That is why at the bakery I worked at always wrote down what the customer said on the order form and then showed them "Is this correct?" That way the customer gets what they want. We also read back the cake order. "Half sheet, chocolate cake. White buttercream frosting. Captain America toy and decoration."

could you not have checked it before it was boxed ?