By immaloser95 - 06/01/2015 21:06 - United States - Portage

Today, I was working out on a horse farm. I slipped and fell on some ice, whacking my head on the metal gate in the process. As I was getting up, I accidentally grabbed the electric fence. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 974
You deserved it 3 912

immaloser95 tells us more.

OP here, and loving these awesome puns. I'm glad some of you get to laugh at my pain! :) Let me explain my story. I've been working on horse farms my entire life. For those of you who don't know, an electric fence is for keeping the horses from knocking down the fences and escaping (not fun). They're very hard to see, as they run right the along the top edge of the fence, and especially hard to notice if you aren't looking for them. I've been shocked loads of times out of carelessness, but this time, it wasn't entirely my fault. Here in Michigan, weather is about as bipolar as is gets. It was raining the morning prior to my fall, and it was snowing at the time, covering the ice. And no, I was not running. It is possible to slip on ice while walking. I really wish there was a camera there. I feel like I may have just looked like a cartoon. It did hurt, but my boss and co-stable hand were laughing their asses off, and eventually so was I. I don't think they'll let this one go for a long time! Oh, and as for the person who said I worked around exotic plants....wtf?

Top comments

RandomUsername88 24

I bet you were pretty shocked. Yeah, I'll let myself out

Comments

I had a similar situation, I was herding the cattle back toward the barn standing on the tractor while driving it and I hit a hole I didn't see, fell off, and got an electric fence post ran through my leg and as I lay there I was being shocked til someone turned it off

This sounds like something harry and Marve from home alone..

Lol Since you're okay enough to write an FML, I do not feel bad about laughing. I know you didn't have a good day. But take comfort in that you made mine better!! And at least you didn't have something happen involving horse manure. Then it really would have been a crappy situation. Ba-dum-tsh.

Sounds like you've worked on a farm before op. Your not suppose to run around the animals anyways they will get scared or stressed which could cause them to get sick.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

She never said she was running... Also, most horses don't care if you run through a pasture. Unless you chase them purposefully and they think you're trying to catch and eat them, they're just going to watch you and maybe trot around a bit, that's it. I would assume cattle would just stand and watch you, they don't really care much about anything. :)

Hello person who grew up working with cattle here. Cattle really don't give a shit what you do as long as they don't have a calf. Or unless they're mean and are gonna be chasing after you

caleb_ohs 8

The shock from those really isn't that bad

Parvati48 15

Well that's rotten luck, sorry OP. That sounds horrible. :/ I hope you are ok!

Really does sound like a bad movie. Sorry though OP.

One time I tried taking a photo of my cousin petting the horse across the street from her. Not know the fence was electric, I grabbed it try to get closer. Best rush of my life tbh, it didn't hurt it was just this strange feeling. But I did fling my phone across the street which freaked the horse out. The photo did not turn out too well either. Lol.

OP here, and loving these awesome puns. I'm glad some of you get to laugh at my pain! :) Let me explain my story. I've been working on horse farms my entire life. For those of you who don't know, an electric fence is for keeping the horses from knocking down the fences and escaping (not fun). They're very hard to see, as they run right the along the top edge of the fence, and especially hard to notice if you aren't looking for them. I've been shocked loads of times out of carelessness, but this time, it wasn't entirely my fault. Here in Michigan, weather is about as bipolar as is gets. It was raining the morning prior to my fall, and it was snowing at the time, covering the ice. And no, I was not running. It is possible to slip on ice while walking. I really wish there was a camera there. I feel like I may have just looked like a cartoon. It did hurt, but my boss and co-stable hand were laughing their asses off, and eventually so was I. I don't think they'll let this one go for a long time! Oh, and as for the person who said I worked around exotic plants....wtf?

KhaleesiDannie 26

I'm glad you're okay and could get a laugh out of it OP I had a much lesser but similar situation involving a tens unit on max and a metal bed frame XD

I think that that person was talking about an "uncommon power plant" because of the "fancy" electric fence with which you shocked yourself. P.s. If I were you, I wouldn't have laughed about it afterwards, I, most likely, would have cried or something! I mean, didn't it hurt? It probably did, at least a little bit, right?

Oooohhh, now I see what they meant. Makes sense now. And I did say that I was hurt, but that I eventually started laughing. I've hit my head before, and I've gotten shocked by those wires before, and they definitely don't hurt as much as you'd think.

Yah those aren't so bad. More like a strong static shock than anything. We used to only put them on the paddocks of horses who liked to chew the boards.

Dunno if the same standards used in the US than where i live but they dont really hurt. its just a shocking experience. Besides that here we have just very short impulses with very high voltage but very very low amperage. I found out while grabbing my neighbors electric fence to see if it is on because the horses werent in the fences area. It was on.

Oh my god I know getting shocked by electric fences is not fun. I've been working with and riding horses for 14 years. And anyone who's saying electric fences are 'cruel' or 'mean' are so dumb because it's so much better than the alternative barbed wire fence and having an electric fences around the horses keeps them safe from anything that might want to get into where the horses are and hurt them. At my farm we put the electric fences at the top middle and bottom of the plain wooden fences and on the outside of the wood is plain wire fence.

Yeah, they're way more humane than barbed wire. I grabbed one when I was a kid and even turned way up it felt like an uncomfortable jolt, sort of like being punched in the chest. And I was a thirteen year old girl, for a 2000 pound animal it wouldn't be painful.

I'm pretty sure by exotics plants they meant marijuana. Many pot growers put up high voltage wires around the fields. I grew up on a farm and have had many run ins with the ice and electric fences, and even once together. I was sledding when I was young and failed to stop before hitting an electrified barbed wire fence. I got tangled in it with my snow suit and was shocked multiple times. Always seemed to be a fence at the bottom of the best hills.

As a swede, I'm actually surprised how little some people know about the winter… I thought everyone knew you can slip on ice while walking (you can basically do that when not walking too…)

if you want bipoler try Canada. one moment it's sunny so you change into shorts then walk outside and it's raining so when you come back outside with an umbrella it's now a wind storm. lol but better luck

Mortoli 30

well be more careful from now on. dont want to mess up a pretty face. lol. seriously though. how in the world do you have such bad luck?

As someone who also lives in Michigan, I understand how unpredictable the weather can be.