By Shiva - 18/03/2014 08:46 - France - Niort

Today, I decided to clean my apartment from top to bottom. Once I was done, I looked over at my puppy, who then woke up, stretched, got out of his basket and started to pee. I shouted, "No!" Scared, he then ran all over the place, still peeing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 472
You deserved it 96

Top comments

Actually OP might have preferred that over peeing because its easier to clean up. Also if its carpet the pee smell is hard to get rid of and the puppy will want to pee there again.

Comments

jazzy_123 20

I remember when my puppy peed on my bed :( I get you OP. Some training and you will not have that problem anymore (: good luck!

B1ackthesun 31

I have a similar story, but the puppy peed ON me. I was sleeping and felt some nudges in my sleep, but it took me awhile to come to. Woke up to him standing on my chest peeing on me and my bed with the most guilty look in his doggie eyes. That was a long time ago, sadly that 'puppy' died last year at a ripe old age. Cherish every moment OP, the time goes so fast and one day you'll look back on this with fondness and laugh, as I do now :)

Same thing happened to me. The first night I brought the little bastard home. We went out he peed, brought him inside, put him one the bed and he promptly pissed on my comforter. From then on he slept in his crate... until 5 months ago... he now sleeps on my bed basically as close to me as he can physically get. Love the little jerk though.

Coeliacchic93 21

my dog always let's us know when he needs to go (he's almost 14) well a few weeks ago I was very ill and in a lot of pain which he always senses and he absolutely refused to leave my side for long. he went downstairs and did his business by the back door before coming back to where I was. (note only my boyfriend and I was home and my boyfriend was helping me so we didn't notice the the dog did anything till my mum came home and found it!)

Welcome to pet ownership. Won't be the last time. Invest in a lot of floor cleaner OP.

Those encourage the puppy to continue eliminating in the house. At least that's what my vet told me.

damnit1989 16

False. My mom used puppy pads for both our dogs, and both will wait all day if they have to to go outside. They always let us know when it's time to go out.

Yes, but it sounds like you dog is already house broken. I'd imagine that would confuse a puppy who is still learning.

Every dog is different and I took my vet's advice and stopped using them. I haven't used them since about two weeks or so after getting him, and three months later he still tries to go to the areas where his puppy pads used to be. Fortunately I now recognize those signs and can take him out, but it'd be nicer if he went to the door instead of the back hallway to let me know he has to go.

I get what u guys r saying but my dog does both. Put it near the door where he goes out. That's what I did and it works perfectly we'll and no it doesn't confuse them because it has their sent

jazzy_123 20

my sisters dog can't use pads. She usually leaves them out at night because she doesn't have a doggy door. I had to dog sit for 2 weeks and I put them where she told me so the dog can go at night, and every morning she would end pooping and peeing NEXT to the puppy pad -,- idk if she was trying to make my life miserable lol

Definitely depends on the dog. I have a small dog and small dogs have small bladders. She is a rescue with a lot of trust and anxiety issues, so I cannot crate her. I always have a puppy pad down for her at all times. Sometimes she uses it and sometimes she waits until I get home. Because of work and school, there are days when I am gone from 730am until almost 10pm. Way too long for her to hold it. Ideally, I wouldn't need them, but for my schedule and my particular dog, it works for us.

scottyspot 11

I guess that will teach you not to scare the piss out of your dog! Use some good pet stain cleaner with oxyclean in it to remove the scent or he will keep hitting the places he peed.

CurlyQute 17

I feel you, OP. Housetraining is a long and difficult road. I take my puppy out anywhere from every 30 minutes to an hour and ALWAYS after a nap. Praise him endlessly with love and treats when he goes outside.. I've also been advised to put a bell on my door so he can signal when he's ready to go out. I haven't done this personally but I hear it works well.

Don't scream no, if you have a puppy and he isn't trained duh he will pee. There should be a not so bad button like inbetween

Have you ever house trained a puppy? If you don't tell them what they're doing is wrong in a stern voice, they're not going to learn that it isn't okay. I mean don't scream at them, but you do have to tell them no, and pick them up and take them out.

It really depends on the dog, and the training style you choose to use. Some dogs are very sensitive and take stern voices to heart, which makes them fearful of eliminating in front of you (then they'll find someplace hidden to go!) I never spoke one word to my pup whenever she had an accident, and instead would "taxi" her out to potty as soon as I saw a crouch. (She always barked when she needed to poo, she only ever piddled inside.) My pup was house trained in less than four months, but it really depends on the dog! You shouldn't feel like you -have- to scold or correct for a behavior if the dog really doesn't take it well. Training should always be tailored to the individual dog, and in my case, her accidents didn't require any corrections for her to become fully house trained.

Is your pup a toy breed? If so, I hope you're prepared for this for 15 years. My chihuahua pees when someone pets her, when someone says her name, when she's excited, when she's scared...etc... I think this is a small dog thing. They have tiny bladders and not so great control of it. Good luck!!

meli1195 31

Um i think that's just your dog.... I have a chihuahua too as well as a yorkie/chihuahua mix and they both learned to pee in the backyard and only have accidents if we're out for a whole day.

The only small dogs I know pee inside the house are those owned by a "friend" of mine who didn't bother training them. It's not a "small dog thing".

Sounds like an individual dog thing, not a small dog thing. My dog is a chihuahua/minpin mix and the poster dog for anxiety and scared of her own shadow. She does use a puppy pad when I am gone, but goes to the door to let me know she needs to go. The only time she has had an accident is when she has been ill.