Barking up the wrong tree

By yblamemebiatch - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - Australia - Sydney

Today, I found out a colleague spread lies about me because she somehow thinks I'm to blame for the hot guy at work not wanting to date her. Perhaps she should blame his fiancé. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 705
You deserved it 1 421

Top comments

Take it as a sort of crude compliment... She thinks you're attractive enough for him to notice you over her.

Comments

iAmPaul 49

Fiancée*, unless the guy is engaged to another man, in which case this FML is even funnier for that female co-worker.

This is probably going to get a few thumbs down, but I feel this should be said. How can women gripe and moan about equality when some of us do shit like this? Yeah, let's start vicious rumors about each other because we have our eyes on some guy or we're insecure. That makes all the sense! I don't think anyone should bitch at any other group of people (and that damn well goes for everyone) until they learn how to treat each other right. Anyway, OP, the rumors will slow down eventually. One of my ex's ex-girlfriends spread a rumor about me that claimed that the only reason he got back together with me was that I was pregnant and had chlamydia (she had never even met me). I just laughed it off because it was so stupid lol

thenetflox 4

Wtf did I just read? Women shouldn't have equal rights because some dumb bitch got mad over something stupid? Makes a ton of sense. I'd like to point out that men are very capable of doing dumb shit, should we take away their rights? Hell no. We're all human, we all do idiotic things.

Looking at my previous comment, I realize I could have phrased it much better than I did, and I apologize if anyone is confused. I understand some people will feel strongly about my opinion and that's fine. That's what opinions are. But I really believe that women (just for example) cannot complain about the way they are treated by men (for example) if they don't even stick together. Say if a man cheated on his wife with a younger woman, and he told the younger woman he was going to leave his wife but never did. Who is to blame, truly? The man who cheated or the woman who tempted him? I say the man is to blame, because he had the choice to walk away from the temptation. Understand? Yet more often than not, it seems that the "other" woman is blamed and demonized. I know the fml had nothing to do with feminism (it just made me think of it) but it annoys me that there are still people out there who bring others down and yet so many claim to share a common cause. The way that another person presents themselves has nothing to do with how you should feel about yourself. No one has the right to attempt to slander another person in an attempt to make themselves feel better. You cannot demand respect until you learn to respect others, no matter your own opinions on them.

Your cheating analogy is really dumb. The married man and his mistress are to blame especially if the woman knew he was married going into the affair. The rest of your points are just trash. I don't agree with everything every woman does in the world. I think Brazilian waxes are terrifying, I think working in the STEM field sounds like no fun, and the idea of never having kids sounds sad to me. But I support their choices and I support the idea that women are allowed to make these choices by themselves. Men can be shitbags too. A man started a rumor that I had AIDS and that I had a baby. Do I get to treat all men like trash because of it? No.

As Tina Fey said in such a succinct way in Mean Girls, "You have got to stop calling each other '*****' and '******'. That just makes it okay for guys to call you '*****' and '******'." I respect your opinion. I don't agree with you saying that my points are *all* trash but I can see where you're coming from. So allow me to clarify, once more, that what I meant was that nothing is going to get better until we start picking each other up instead of beating each other down. I wasn't literally saying, "Women should lose their rights for being mean to each other" lol. I'm saying that the people who mistreat us are looking at this sort of behavior as acceptable because we're behaving this way towards each other. In my first comment I mentioned a nasty rumor that got spread about me by a jealous ex girlfriend. I could easily have retaliated, thus causing a whole shit storm of drama to continue, but I didn't. I didn't know the girl, I just knew she had to be jealous because of the nature of her comments. I simply left it alone and the rumors died out because there was no truth to them.

But calling people by rude names and spreading rumors because you don't like them isn't something limited to women. Guys and girls do it to each other all the time; so I don't understand why it has to be women to stop this behavior. If you wait for everyone to become a nice person to support change, change is never going to happen.

I say again: Women were just an example, as pertaining to the fml about women being catty towards one another over some guy. The same thing can be applied to everyone, as I stated in my first comment.

I think you should just stop because you're just digging a yourself a giant hole.

I think people should learn to read and actually absorb information instead of just seeing what they want to see and then reacting based on their misunderstanding.

I don't think I misunderstood anything. You stated that you didn't understand how people could support equality for women if some were catty and called each other names. And yeah you did say that you believed that for every group of people. It's still a pretty bad stance. It would be like me saying I can't support LGBT rights because sometimes people in the community are assholes to each other. Some people (and I'm not saying you specifically. I am literally being really general here) think it's ok to withhold support for a movement not realizing that it's toxic borderline abusive behavior.

I can understand that some would think that's what I said. But it's not. Not even close. I never said that anyone should have their rights taken away or that they never deserved them, but rather that any progress made would be pointless if the group fighting for their rights was to turn on each other. I've said that people react to groups based on how they treat one another. Anyone who wishes to keep another group down would look on that as an excuse to justify their actions.

People who want to keep a certain group down will find any reason to do so. If someone's support is contingent on them controlling my behavior they can **** off. They aren't true allies and are just looking for a power trip. You are completely free to express that this your opinion and I support that right. I, however, can not and will not ever agree with it. I hope you have a wonderful day. (And if any of my comments came off rude I am genuinely sorry and that was not my intent. I truly hope you have a nice week/life.)

Some people just can't handle rejection. :/

Some people just like to blame other people for things that aren't there fault. Don't worrie about it they know it not your fault. She just an ass and everyone know that

Maybe you should try to seduce the guy, so you can prove that your colleague really is ugly.

That person, spreading the rumors, should really get her act together..