This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By TipYourWaitress - 31/12/2018 18:00

Today, a customer of mine at the restaurant I work at decided not to tip me, instead opting I "keep the change". That was nice of him, but I don't think he realizes it doesn't work that way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 215
You deserved it 262

Top comments

Is he paying with a card? That’s the only way I see this being accurate.

Maybe he was a tourist? In my country, offering to "keep the change" is the normal way of tipping.

Comments

PenguinPal3017 19

Please explain how it doesn't work that way.

there is NO LAW...ANYWHERE that states you MUST tip your waitress. be happy you got what you got.

weaboo 12

It’s customary in some places. Where I am, if you don’t tip you’re being rude (because the food is both cheap and good) and you can probably spare to pay 110% or 115% of the bill Though it reminds me of one time we went to a restaurant and the waitress kept the change without us telling her (the change was about as much as a tip would be for the meal) and my grandpa was furious and he said that he was gonna give her the change but now she doesn’t deserve it anymore

People, wait staff survive on tips. Not tipping 15% means that you haven't truly paid for your meal. Saying 'Keep the change' when the change is $1.50 is basically stiffing your waiter/waitress. Which is likely what happened here. Sure, it's possible that the customer gave her a $50 for a $40 bill, but if that was the case this wouldn't be on FML. If you're not able to pay a proper tip, don't go to a sit-down restaurant in the USA.

I did not pay for my meal because I did not tip?!?!?! Nope, I paid for my meal and then I CHOSE whether or not to tip.

Not how it works in the US. If you're not ok with how it works, don't go out to eat. The fact that you don't like tipping doesn't mean that the waitstaff deserves to go hungry.

Sorry but if I paid my bill for a meal, I paid my meal. I understand servers in the US rely on the tips to make a living and not giving them a tip is considered rude, but the only thing you don't pay when you don't tip is the server.

Or it also means the server sucked and I don’t feel like I should pay her/him for ignoring me. If they can’t live up to the job description then maybe they need to go cashier at Kroger. So sick of shitty servers telling me how much I have to leave them or I should stay home. Only bad servers say that. Good ones make good money so they don’t feel the need to bitch about it.

vrynn1 16

Why should we tip 10$? He didn't spend 1 hour working for me!

Traveling_Book 9

No that’s exactly how it works in the US. Tip is not required nor mandatory. No law saying you have to tip or if you don’t tip then you didn’t “pay your bill”. Stop being ridiculous.

You're right, it's not illegal to not tip. It is, however, wrong. In effect, you're stealing from the server. I get that it makes you uncomfortable to think about it this way, but that doesn't change reality. Why is it that servers are the only profession where you need to have power over their pay? You don't get to arbitrarily decide that the cashier at the grocery store didn't serve you properly so you can just dock their pay and keep the difference. Until the law changes to pay servers a decent wage, tipping is the only morally correct action.

chessu 21

I'm joining the 'this is exactly how it works' crew. And yeah, I get it, USA is broken and somehow thinks the customer should pay your wages rather than your employer and tips are expected regardless of your level of service, but in the end of the day, it's not legally obligatory so whether the change was 5 cents or 5 dollars, the phrase used is still valid; it's just a little offensive if it is 5 cents. I'd rather the customer just leave and not mention it.

It doesn't? That's usually how I tip servers...

I'm Canadian and this is also exactly how it works

brizzie182 10

I'm a waitress in America and that's exactly how it works where I work. If a customer says keep the change at the checkout (at crackerbarrel you dont pay at the table), sometimes they will tell the customer to put it back on the table or the cashier will give it to you when it's not busy

yeah I'm baffled as well. I tip that way all the time. $21 bill? they get $30 and are told to keep the change. And before anyone calls me cheap over a $9-$10 tip, you should know 2 things. 1) that's more than 20% and 2) I live in Canada where servers are paid at least minimum wage. Even if the service is poor, I usually give $2 so that if they have to tup out to bus and kitchen staff they don't lose money. I've only not tipped once and all she did was serve us a crappy appetizer that we got comped because we couldn't eat it and bring our drinks. Then she hid in the kitchen while we waited an hour for our food and watched people who came in after us and ordered THE SAME THING (we were seated close so we heard their order) some of us had ordered got their food and finished eating. We eventually paid for our drinks and left.

That's like a 40% tip. No one is going to call you cheap over that. Especially not the people here who can't understand how going to a restaurant works. That's not what happened, though, because if it was then the OP wouldn't have put it on FML. They probably got $0.50 or $1 off something like a $19 meal.

There is no obligation for any customer to leave you a tip. Sometimes it is all I can do to give a tip the bill is already too expensive. If he left you the chance as a tip, be thankful you got one.