Tantrum

By brokedad - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I was questioned by police for forcing a 12-year-old to get in my car. That 12-year-old is my daughter, who refused to get in until I agree to buy her a highly expensive purse just to become popular. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 272
You deserved it 7 556

Comments

Since when would a purse make her popular ?

When I hear things like this, I'm glad I'm homeschooled. O.o

Girls tend to challenge each other a lot through beauty, fashion, and wealth. So she would be receiving some attention.

Ugh i remember doing this crap back in elementary school. Didn't work once and i realize now being with the "popular" kids isnt all that glamorous as in the case of my high school, the "popular" kids are douchy jocks and slutty girls. Really glad i didn't become "popular"

35- luck son of a bitch you rarely even have to get up

death943 10

My parents would of whipped me for say BS like that to then and not getting in the car.. *snap*

T-35 agreed.... -60 I still have to get up. It just means earlier because on top of homework I have a shit ton of doctors appointments, along with therapy :3 it's not all good.

Now a days you're only popular if you dress in expensive clothes have expensive taste and have an iPhone with a bedazzled case

I wonder what the average IQ of her grade is. I would like to know if those kids are smart or just kicking it on their iphone. when i was 18 I heard of 2 7th graders who got pregnant and 1 6th grader. Wtf? Also, if someone doesn't think you are cool because you aren't rich then they are the ones not cool instead of you. 12 year olds can't have a freaken job so can't buy an iphone. Kids are so spoiled. I bet a lot of Op's daughter's her grade are jerks to her.

This is why this generation is so massed up! Who the **** cares about begin popular!!

110, incorrect. Only some of us care. Instead of becoming "popular" I've focused only on my education.

That's why I'm glad I only had a few really good friends in middle and high school I'd rather have a few really good people who ARE your friends than a bunch of people who only SAY they're your friend

106 - You're pretty delusional if you think this is a new thing. I've seen similar stories referenced in ancient literature.

Not true. I have all of that, yet I'm not popular. You have to be 'normal' to be popular. By 'normal', I mean just like everyone else.

Well, Meg got a Proda bag because the popular girls had them.

The IQ of a pebble is probably higher than the total combined IQ of every middle schooler at the middle school I used to go to.

#146 riiiiigt -wink wink- :D lol I'm just kiddin

I am sorry OP. I went through my life with out needing those things, but my brother is like that. Not so much dramatic. Hopefully she will grow out of it. Good Luck!

wlddog 14

"It seems we are lucky today. We have stumbled across an parent from the herd, that is being berated by its much smaller offspring. It is simply amazing. These humans have evolved for some reason to never attack their young, despite the dreadful torment the offspring seems to thrive on putting them through."

stephhrunsaway 21

I read that in an Australian accent ;-)

happysmile987 24

I read that in a David Attenborough voice.

once she gets the purse it will no longer be the cool one to have and she'll do the same thing all over again.

that's exactly what I was thinking. at 12 man Dad would have laughed at me and drove away.

My friends parent used to do this thing, where of my friend wanted something, he had to wait a week, and if he still wanted it, he could then have it (within reason of course, not something ultra expensive)

yep and OP will give in again...we will all soon be outnumbered by these entitled little *****

Yup, much needed these days, old fashioned discipline!

You mean "whoop-her-ass" kind of discipline? I won't be surprised at all if OP's daughter does this shit again just to get she wants.

friedpwnadge 25

Next time just leave her there until she decides she doesn't need the purse. Yes, moralfags attack me now. No, a ******* brat isn't going to boss me around. You're the parent. Not her.

OMG he can't just leave his daughter like that! He should have just bought her the purse and then reserved her spot on "My Super Sweet 16" so she can practice complaining about getting the wrong color convertible!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

And one of those points of view needs a quick straightening out...

Yes, because its very easy to convince a teen that when she feels do not belong at school ( i did not say the purse is help her or not), i am saying both of them have a point! I am a teacher at high school and most of them rate each other depends on how much money/ new stuff... If you want to fix the world, you are welcome to do it..!

I just hope to God you're not an English teacher at your school.....

80 - if you bothered to read her profile, she's a biology teacher and English is her third language.

mmizbbz210 13

67- you as a teacher, in my personal opnion are making it worse. what happened to teachers that tell kids it doesnt matter what you do or have. what happened to kids being themselves and making the grades??...

You are gonna thumb me down no matter what i say, but since I dont take it in a personal way, Here is my answer to the last comment: I teach in a "hard to deal with" society/city, everyother day we have police in school, these teens is VERY hard to deal with, but i talk to them in a nice friendly way all the time, but i know in the end of the day .. They dont really give a **** what we tell/recomend them!! (Not every one offcourse, i have known few great girls and boys!)

it's not the childrens fault, it's their damn parents that need to be birch slapped

I can kinda understand what Meme is talking about. Girls will always persuade other girls to do things that are not right (ex: You need to have sex because it's cool. You need to do drugs because it makes you look chill). It is not always the parents that are wrong. I was bullied into thinking that being skinny would make me beautiful. It's just how kids are, or society for that matter.

Coming from your username, I assumed that you bought her the purse? Why, OP, why?

oj101 33

I wonder what brand it is. Probably a Hermes Birkin

I don't know, I took the username as "he's broke and can't buy her the purse"

Birkins can't be purchased by just anyone!

A purse today, a car tomorrow. You can't always get what you want.

WhisperSoflty 20

You get what you need!! *piano breakdown and epic dance moves*

She'll have to pursue other means of happiness. Objects don't bring popularity.

when did a 12 yr old ever understand that?

Anyone who's ever been a teenage girl knows that paying $300 for a pair of jeans with holes already ripped in them is the only way to make friends! (Sarcasm)

rokolodo 10

The latest Nike tennis shoes, the newest iPhone etc. don't bring popularity but, kids want them 'cause they become the center of attention. And the envy of their materialistic peers.

cmb8280 24

Dude, get control of your kid. Seriously, the next generation is going to shit cuz of pansies like you. My momma woulda slapped me into last Tuesday, not bought me a ******* purse. Gtfo

cmb8280 24

Awe, FML didn't like my comment. Either way, I'm only 25. It wasn't that long ago that I was in high school. Like I said, I needed to be more worried about my parents disciplinary actions than any peer pressure at school. People are too easy on their kids nowadays. Wait, am I allowed to say that? Or am I out of line with FML policies again?