Sorry

By brokeforever - This FML is from back in 2015 but it's good stuff - Latvia - Riga

Today, I found out how much those tiny dogs cost when my German Shepherd ate one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 113
You deserved it 12 902

Top comments

how could you let something like that happen??

Comments

nadene52 12

Reading this reminded me of when my German Shepard almost snapped a little dogs neck thinking it was a toy stuffed animal. Stopped her before she could do any damage to the poor little thing. Never again will I give a dog any toys shaped as an animal

No offence, but I'm pretty sure your dog didn't think the other dog was a "toy or stuffed animal." Dogs have a high sense of smell as well as glands that secrete those smells, so even if the other dog wasn't moving at all (which is hard to believe) then your dog would've known it was another animal. It's more likely that your dog assumed it was prey, but either way, if it was trying to kill it, it was because it meant too.

That is true, but dogs do understand praise as if she was praising her dog while it was playing roughly, then the dog thinks that it is what she wants in the real world with a real dog.

bleedingglitter 24

I sure hope your dog is not put down. People don't react well to pets injuring/eating other pets on the area I am from.

Here in Australia it's required for a dog to be put down if they're aggressive to the point of biting people regularly. In this case, eating another dog is one of those cases where they'd be put down. As for OP, seeing as they don't live in Australia, I'm not sure what the policy is, but if they can prove its the first time the dog has shown aggression they may pass by.

#37 it's not required, but if the other dog's owner sues then maybe.

In the UK I believe it is too. It's just sensible practice really. My mum's German Shepherd was put down after attacking my mum's other dog.

Op is just lucky this wasn't a child that his dog attacked. If it was a child that was killed then it wouldn't matter how it happened, the dog would be put down. If the German Shepard did attack the little dog first, then I am questioning whether it should be put down as well. It's one thing for a dog to bite another dog, it's another thing for a dog to kill another dog and then (possibly) eat it.

bleedingglitter 24

Maybe it crawled into his backyard? Not that it's right that he ate another dog but they are really protective. It just would suck for op for lose his dog because the other owner wasn't watching theirs. Unless this happened in public then yeah it needs to be put down but it still sucks either way.

Scheffy213 17

poor little guy. how can that actually happen

Llama_Face89 33

Big dog sees little dog. Big dog licks chops. Big dog chows down on little dog.

Your dog ate a ******* dog??? What even?

danceinconverse 25

Soo...how much do they cost?

rachelfromtarget 14

I feel like there is so much responsibility behind owning a dog and most people don't take it seriously. I hope this was an honest mistake for both parties and nobody was negligent. When my dog got attacked it was totally random and put to a stop almost immediately so I was lucky in that regard. Good luck to you and your dog OP

Is the puppy in your pic the one who got attacked?

How were you downvoted? Your comment was so correct. My dog is normally friendly and pleasant, but likes to bark at other dogs while on leash or in the car because he can't run up and sniff them at his leisure. He was barking at a bulldog at Petsmart last week, and when the bulldog came to sniff him, it was normal at first but for whatever reason, my dog became aggressive towards the other dog. I immediately pulled him away and made him lay down and chill out until he relaxed. According to the multiple trainers I've worked with in the last year, that's absolutely the right way to deal with bad behavior.

rachelfromtarget 14

#43 yeah she was attacked by an overweight beagle

rachelfromtarget 14

#67 did you notice any changes in your dog after they were attacked? My dog didnt really have any previous encounters with agression and I feel like now she has more anxiety. Even though it was such a quick ordeal I worry that it confused her and in turn made her more protective of herself.

rachelfromtarget 14

I read your comment wrong. Its too early for me to form thoughts apparently. Sorry for the obviously wrong response

It's fine. I take him to the dog park a lot ever since he was 4ish months old, and he's about one and a half now. He's been attacked/snapped at a few times. He used to be the biggest wuss, but as he got older and bigger he started standing up for himself. That's the only time I'd ever seen him aggressive without provocation. We hadn't been able to get out much during that period of time between snow, cold, and car problems so he may have been really wound up. That, and I don't think he likes bulldogs. :x

Thank you. :) I know my boy is far from perfect, but he's pretty good most of the time. I hate seeing owners at the dog park lounging on a bench, on their phones, etc. not keeping an eye on their dogs. I'm always up and moving around and interacting with him, and to keep an eye out for correctable behaviors. Training is a lifelong committment, it doesn't end when the classes are over. A lot of people don't get that.

just want to say for the record that my tiny weiner dog is more vicious than any large dog I've ever had.

And I just want to reiterate for the record it doesn't matter if your dog is vicious, well behaved, small, or large it is your responsibility to keep him/her both safe from an attack, and under control.

juturnaamo 29

Dachshunds are supposed to be one of the most aggressive dog breeds. I'm pretty sure they were bred for killing weasels.

Anything in a hole. Their name is German for badger dog

I don't think anyone realizes that the dog is DEAD it's not funny no matter who's fault it is

oh? you die when a dog eats you? #sarcasm

Completely agree 42! I'm shocked at how many people on here are ok with this seeing as the FML community seems to be major animal lovers. I'm not sure if it's how the FML was worded or if it's because it was a small dog that was attacked, but either way, I'm surprised at the comments.