This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By ProudAfricanHere - 14/08/2017 04:30

Today, my co-worker, a black woman born and raised in Oklahoma, rudely implied I shouldn't call myself african, even though I was born and raised in Cape Town, a city my family has lived in since its foundation. It seems the fact I am white is what troubles her about the whole situation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 657
You deserved it 509

Top comments

The_candyman 13

tell her to stop being a racist. You can't judge people on the color of their skin

As Karen would say, 'If you're from Africa, why're you white?'

Comments

EnvyMe33 26

The race card is always being used. Most people that use the race card aren't well educated. Every race is racist, but white people are the only ones that get accused of it. Hello... black panthers are just as bad as the KKK.

Where is race being mentioned at all? what does this have to do with the mom or black panthers? The black panthers isnt a racial group, the neo panthers are you. You literally just exposed yourself.

OP's American co-worker said that OP can't be African because OP is while eespite the fact that they were born in Africa.

*despite, not eespite. Edit function plz?

*despite, not eespite. Edit function plz?

You damn right I play the card, because I am not asian nor an eskimo and yet, people still insist I'm either onw - you are literally insulting someone you don't know. That makes you the one with the lesser IQ number to compare with. The most infuriating part of these lowlife has one thing in common: They are, with no exception, all white. You'll be surprised how often I hear white ignorant people trying to tell me I'm either one. "Because you're smart, you must be surely an asian" or "because you are an inuit, you are an eskimo" - they aren't reasonable assumptions. Go get some protection, 'cause you are getting dragged by someone you say isn't smart. I want to see you use three languages at daily basis and fourth for science before I can allow to call me stupid.

Furthermore, we are not "most", because most of us are actually forced to speak three languages just for an education and if you get more than that, you are finally "up there with white people" with their two languages at best.

the black panthers never killed anyone for starters. do some research please.

Not sure how or being black or from Oklahoma bears any relevance to this story.

Mungolikecandy 19

It is that the person who made the statement is black and has never been to Africa and yet takes offence that someone who is white but was born in Africa and has parents and grandparents etc. who were born there identifies as being African.

Still not seeing any relevance. The story could have been written without mentioning race.

All the white South Africans I know always call themselves South Africans and never simply Africans. They are proud of their country and not necessarily their continent. And when they say Africans, they mean blacks, as opposed to whites or what they called “colored.” It seems you are using African to annoy your coworker, even though you are technically correct

Oh, really? And how many South Africans do you know? Please, I'm Nigerian and I've never once said, I'm from Nigeria, but not from Africa. I always say I'm either Nigerian or African. I call bullshit to "they aren't proud of their continent so they only go by their country." Their country makes up the continent and they are African, like it or not.

I am South African and this is correct. We generally identify as South African and only African to make a point. Although we are not offended by being called African, we are usually quick to point out that Africa is a continent and not a country

that was my impression too, so i can see why op would have annoyed her.

THANK YOU! And lest we forget that Apartheid rules often called white South Africans "Europeans" and POC South Africans "Non-Europeans". It's like, oh so NOW you wana be an African? B*tch please, you ain't Johnny Clegg, as least make us all some rad music if you wana be rockin this "White African" sh*t :P

I am a white South African (I also lived in America for a short while). I call myself both South African, as it's my country of origin and African as its my continent of origin. I am extremely proud of where I come from and my roots are planted FIRMLY in the mother land. Sure once upon a time my ancestors came from somewhere in Europe... but that was about 365 years ago... I am African. As was my parents before me and their parents before them and so forth. Don't insult us. We are a proud people. We are a diverse people. But we are one.

I’m not insulting you, I’m merely reporting what I’ve heard from many white South Africans. To be fair, I’ve never claimed to be a North American. I have no problem with Canada or Mexico, but I’ve never had the need to claim my continental affiliation.

That's like saying black, and white people can't call themselves American

No it isn't like saying black. Black is like saying black. Technically they should call themselves South African, not African.

Ok but where is "American" ever used to refer to a race??

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

you're ethnicity is based on where you're born not where you're ancestors are born so if the person who posted this was born in Africa he is African

Ethnicity IS based on where your ancestry lies, not where you are born. If your heritage relates back to Spain, you are Hispanic regardless of where you are born.

If you look at the planet's history, all humans can call themselves African. It's where **** sapiens came from. That's what your argument sounds like to me. The OP is referring to nationality (or the equivalent for a continent), not ethnicity. He/she could probably have said 'South African', but he is not wrong. Just like I'm a European, he's an African.

so... basically white people can't be Americans?

Just shows what an uneducated moron she is.

Welcome to US identity politics. Yes, it's insane.

There's Racism on both sides, both sides.

gobiteme2 34

Why on both sides? The way it was written the OP didn't bring in the racist remark.

Just quoting the president in his latest tweet.

alexale1 8

if ur family came from that city ur technically African.