By Stuck - 15/07/2009 04:01 - United States

Today, I was going to break up with my boyfriend after we went out for dinner. To my surprise, our families were also in the restaurant, to witness him propose to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 822
You deserved it 14 376

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aw. I feel bad for him. I really don't know how two people in a relationship can be on such different pages. Couldn't you at least have hinted about breaking up?

rayrayy_fml 0

That's awkward. :/ Did you reject him? & #3, maybe they were on the same page. Maybe they both felt it was time for a change. She felt the solution was something new, and he felt it was taking the relationship to the next level, who knows.

Comments

GIRLS here's a hint, if you walk into a restaurant and you notice your family and his family happens to be in the same place at the same time, and no one has said a word to you about going out besides your bf, then it means he's about to propose. "IT'S A TRAP!" - admiral ackbar

wowfmlife 0

Say yes so the families don't have to suffer and then be engaged for a while, keep instigating fights, eventually break off the engagement, then break up

Or, a healthier approach: say "no" and deal with the fact that the families just saw the rejection. This is why I hate public proposals so much - the woman feels like she has to say "yes" for the sake of the people watching, regardless of how she actually feels.

That's really embarrassing. Thats another reason why I hate public proposals. People think they're nice.. but they can really put pressure on you to say things you never wanted to say.. like yes. I'd just smile and say.. OMG give me some time to think on it, i'm so happy.. teeeheee.. then go home and draft up a speech that it's not working out for you. It's better to split it now before something more serious happens..

I sorry but I feel wayyyyyyy worse for the guy than for the OP

Don't say yes if you where thinking breaking up with him. You will regret it later.

100% agreed. I'm almost sure she somehow acted her way into it. I don't have a sister but I sure do have a mother and I don't even talk about my relationships to her, yet she always noticed when they weren't going so great and she was never surprised whenever she found out that I had broken up with a boyfriend just as she wasn't surprised when I came home one day and told her that my husband had proposed...and there's no way he could have told her beforehand, he doesn't speak German and she doesn't speak English. So if the OP's family had NO CLUE and seriously saw the relationship ending in marriage then yea, they must have seemed like a very happy couple even from her side.

snoopy24_fml 0

You cold bitch, at least have the decency to break up BEFORE the date. Otherwise all you're dong is getting a free meal out of the poor guy and then dumping his ass. You're definitely someone who deserves to be clipped by a drunk driver. The world doesn't need people like you.

No one deserves to be clipped by a drunk driver you ass

Sure they do. People like this stupid bitch, KKK members, and A-Rod could all use a good "SUV to the torso" to cure their uselessness.

i disagree, on a short list......Brock Lestner, Rapist Priests, and the guy who played Screech all deserve to get rocked, maybe even Christian Bale, that douche

If I had $1 for every FML I have read that followed the "omg I was gonna break up with my boyfriend/girlfriend but then they proposed" scenario, I'd have quite a few dollars :) :/

redblueviolet 0

@32 - Oh, yeah, it's all her fault because she doesn't love him. Shame on her. Just because he thought it was going well doesn't mean that she did. But seriously, you shouldn't have waited until after dinner. You should have taken him on a walk or something that doesn't cost money and isn't in public. Regardless of whether he was paying.