By Stuck - 15/07/2009 04:01 - United States

Today, I was going to break up with my boyfriend after we went out for dinner. To my surprise, our families were also in the restaurant, to witness him propose to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 822
You deserved it 14 376

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aw. I feel bad for him. I really don't know how two people in a relationship can be on such different pages. Couldn't you at least have hinted about breaking up?

rayrayy_fml 0

That's awkward. :/ Did you reject him? & #3, maybe they were on the same page. Maybe they both felt it was time for a change. She felt the solution was something new, and he felt it was taking the relationship to the next level, who knows.

Comments

Yea_Wateva 0

Omfg! she juss wanted to wait the best time and it felt for her the best time was after not cuz she could get a free meal thats retarded people are dumbasses to think that

You're a bitch, you must be good in bed in order for him to even like you.

Or maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe she was cheating on him, hence the reason NO ONE knew the relationship was going to end except her?

ohhhh_Ashley 0

why does everyone think she's a bitch? to her it was probably a normal break-up, and then all of a sudden she found out he was going to propose. it's not like he would tell her that.

I think those who are leaving negative comments toward the OP are not doing so because she intended to break up with him, because that it indeed perfectly normal. They are more likely reacting to fact that: A) She planned to break up with him after going out for dinner. Since it is more common (though not necessarily always certain) that a man pays for a meal/date, it seems like she wanted to hit him up for one last free meal. and/or B) They were on two totally different pages which indicates a total error in communication. Since it is more common for you to believe that a relationship is going well unless otherwise indicated (that is, theoretically, happiness with a relationship is the default), it leads people to believe that she didn't indicate her dissatisfaction in the relationship, leaving the poor guy thinking that everything was going dandy and marriage-ready.

People like you are dumbasses. Why else would she wait until after the meal, if not to shovel more food in her face and then kick the guy in the balls? The stupid **** needs to get punched in the teeth.

That's why you should call off the date and break up before it happens. People are unpredictable, and plus why would you go through a date leading them on to thinking everything is OK before dumping them? While some say that breaking up in any way other than face to face is cowardly, I'd rather have someone dump me over the phone beforehand as opposed to being humiliated in public. You set yourself up for trying to go through with a date with those intentions YDI

If done properly, I don't think the face-to-face would be humiliating. Perhaps the OP here intended to talk with her boy during dinner about exactly why the relationship had gone downhill and needed to end. Giving the benefit of the doubt, here, but we don't know a whole lot.

That's really awkward. I hope they weren't too upset when you turned him down, Stuck.

bneill 0

Wow. that surely does suck. I hate public proposals. I told my boyfriend of 2 yrs to never do that, U shouldn't have went to dinner, do it over his place or something. That's mean to make it like everything is alright at dinner then break up with them after.