By Stuck - 15/07/2009 04:01 - United States

Today, I was going to break up with my boyfriend after we went out for dinner. To my surprise, our families were also in the restaurant, to witness him propose to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 822
You deserved it 14 376

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aw. I feel bad for him. I really don't know how two people in a relationship can be on such different pages. Couldn't you at least have hinted about breaking up?

rayrayy_fml 0

That's awkward. :/ Did you reject him? & #3, maybe they were on the same page. Maybe they both felt it was time for a change. She felt the solution was something new, and he felt it was taking the relationship to the next level, who knows.

Comments

Party foul! Every time my sisters watch a romantic comedy, they make sure to pound it into my head that if/when I propose, it shouldn't be in public, and it shouldn't be witnessed by the families. Proposing marriage is a huge thing, and in either of those situations, a woman feels pressured to say "yes" because she'd be seen as a heartless bitch if she says "no." And let's also not overlook the fact that this guy blindsided the OP with it. Failure in communication, big time. Yes, it's nice for the big moment to be a surprise, but this still needs to be something a couple's talked about. Also, I've had a girl break up with me after dinner. After dinner and before the check. I still payed. It's not actually such a big deal.

Wow that must of been awkward but I got to admit I would like to know the out come did she turn him down right then and there or did she say a nervous yes and then told him the truth in private?

I have to say FHL since obviously, he had no idea what was coming to him.

YDI, for planning to break up with him AFTER going out to dinner.

YDI, why were you waiting until AFTER dinner? sounds like you're a greedy ho who wanted a free dinner. you should have planned to break up with him somewhere private.

ashole1990 10

thats what you get for milking that last dinner out of him

don't marry him if you want to break up, bc the marriagewill never work out. that's a sticky situation

not to be a jerk but i hope u still broke up with him.

sportsnut 0

I agree and would like to add something. Does this woman not ever talk to her family (specifically her mother or maybe a sister) about this stuff? Granted, I understand that they might not have the best relationship with someone in the family. But still, someone in her family HAD to know that she was going to break it off. I thought this is what girls talk about with mothers and sisters. I know my GF has been all over the marriage topic and what she sees for our relationship. I just find it really hard to believe that her family would have A. been completely oblivious to the whole failing relationship and B. that they would have sat by and let him go through with all of this. Now that i've written that, here's another option. It almost seems mores plausible that she acted her way into this. Is it possible that she made everyone think that she was in a great relationship? I can not imagine that her family would be there if they had ANY inclination that their daughter would even consider breaking up with him.

I don't think people are picking up on the fact that the families were invited to the restaurant to watch the proposal. I hope no one buys that it was just an amazing coincidence that both families were at the restaurant, the same day, the same hour, as OP’s bf was proposing to her. He obviously invited them to watch the moment, and again OP has obviously not made it aware to anyone that the relationship is not going the way she would like. OP YDI for a number of reasons ... Reason #1, your an idiot

"Reason #1, your an idiot" Oh, the irony! Lrn2grammar your=/=you're