Nice to see you too

By mcfatty - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - India - Bangalore

Today, despite having a bunch of work and school related things to do, I made time to go visit family I hadn't seen in a while. The main topic of discussion was how fat I've gotten. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 146
You deserved it 1 644

Top comments

Ignore them, at least you know you're the better person by making time for them

I have some magic words for you: "well, when I decided to take time away from important work to spend time with you all, I didn't expect you to be so incredibly rude to me. So, I'm going to head off and do some studying. See you at Christmas!" Seriously. Your family are WAY out of line and you 100% have better things to do than sit and take it. If they want to have a good relationship with you, they can take the first step by not being complete assholes next time you see them.

Comments

OP now knows why school and work related commitments are priority.

Yes, this can be extremely rude depending on how they intended for it to come off. As just plain insults or health concerns? Diabetes and obesity run through my family fairly heavily so If I were to gain ten points or so my family would certainly point it out. not to be mean but out of misguided love :)

I've been there. The whole oh my you have a bum, oh look your.cousin is smaller than you now blah blah I look like a tellytubbie.. all I could say was "this ass n these hips, money well spent bitches" suck it.

AssCancer 5

Since when is talking about how fat you are a bad thing, if you know you're fat then why do you care, and if you are fat lose some weight, it really DOES help in the long run

ososmiley12 4

Or when the only complements people come up with is "Did you lose weight? Congratulations!" And every time they see you it is the same thing.

tbrill 15

Honestly, so many people I know (mine included) have families that seem to make it their main prerogative to comment on things they shouldn't whole hiding under the "well we're you're FAMILY!!!!" umbrella. Let me tell you, fake shielding or not, it's not their place to say shitty things like that to you, OP. And as long as you're happy and healthy for yourself and comfortable in your skin, they can screw off on making comments like that. Hope you feel better OP.

My favorite response to when somebody calls me fat is to jiggle my stomach or slap my belly and say "Thanks for noticing, I've been working real hard on it."

FYL. My mom passed away due to OD and the family all came together, and I spent an hour listening to how fat I was and how I needed to grow up. When I was the one taking care of her and her unemployed lazy self. Family sucks.