By Anonymous - 29/10/2014 17:06 - United States

Today, my dad vehemently refused to let me go on vacation to France with my best friend, because he watched Taken a few months ago and apparently forgot that it's just a movie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 675
You deserved it 4 637

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kidnapping happens all of the time. You never know, be happy with your dad because he obviously loves you.

To be fair, my parents wouldn't have let me go to France without adult supervision when I was under 18 either.

Comments

I showed my 9 year old sister up to the part were they got kidnapped just so she'd never ask me about sleep overs again.

kellyem2 20

Americans in particular are at risk for a lot of danger when they travel abroad. Unfortunately, we are seen as targets for kidnapping, robbery and sex because we have a bad reputation abroad. You really do need to be quite careful. While Taken is an extreme example, if you're young, unfamiliar with the language and unsupervised your dad's concerns for your safety are pretty valid.

In fact american are less at risk than chinese, french, spanish people..... American are not even in the top ten of most kidnapped nationalities in the world....

You will most definitely be surprised at what can happen to people. Although you think it may not, it really does. One can say always expect the unexpected.

Although it is just a movie, that kind of thing happens every day. I know people who work in the industry of trying to free these girls (mostly, there are men too) from sexual slavery. IMHO, your dad is right to keep you safe.

brendejafulable 41

Just because a movie was created absolutely does not mean it couldn't happen. He is being protective and kind. Stop acting like a rotten brat child. FYourFirstWorldProblems. Geez.

my neighbor was kidnapped in broad daylight yesterday no joke... so be happy he cares enough to be strict like my dad was when i was growing up. go when ur more capable, and that probably will be *well* after ur "18".don't make the mistake of putting 18 on a pedestal either. I almost was killed getting mugged at a" capable" 18. You can never be too careful dawg/dudette. trust me.

taken is based on facts about kidnappings that happen quite often in France with young girls

Tell him that it's perfectly ok and safe because he's not Liam Neeson

LittleMissShadow 16

I understand your frustration but just remember... To him you'll always be his little girl and he'll always want to protect you. Of course one day he'll have to let you take your own path in life but that won't stop him from being a dad and worrying about his little girl. It just means he loves you allot :)