Hello, Goodbye

By Anonymous - 01/12/2020 22:02 - United Kingdom - Isleworth

Today, I left my job, fulfilling my one month's notice after receiving a job offer from a much better-paying role. After saying goodbye to everyone, I left the building. Not two minutes later, the company who was offering the new job called to say they'd changed their minds, and there was now no longer a job on offer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 619
You deserved it 135

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tounces7 27

Sometimes I think job offers should require immediate binding contracts so that shitty companies can't just make and retract them as often as they like.

tounces7 27

Ruthless companies could even use this to sabotage their competition. Take employees from them with fake offers and then as soon as they've left say that the job vanished.

Comments

tounces7 27

Sometimes I think job offers should require immediate binding contracts so that shitty companies can't just make and retract them as often as they like.

I agree. I think its crazy that places of employment have so much more control over you than you have over them. If you are hired for a job they shouldn't just be able to back out without some sort of repercussions. did you get an offer letter OP?

tounces7 27

Ruthless companies could even use this to sabotage their competition. Take employees from them with fake offers and then as soon as they've left say that the job vanished.

jfigley 5

Thats really ****** up! Sad that we live in a world where companies would ruin a person's life just to do that. Sickening....

if you were leaving on good terms, ask about continuing to work at least while they find and train a new person. they may let you go at that point, but if it was on good terms they should have sympathy and keep you around at least while it is good for both of you.

DrSamba1 8

Early in my career, I once got a written offer from a company. I asked them for more money, and they said they'd see what they could do. A few days later, they called back to not only say there was no more money, but to rescind the original offer. Fortunately, I had not yet given notice at my current job, so the only harm done was to my ego. This was my introduction to the concept of "employment at will".