By Betrayed - 31/07/2009 09:35 - United States

Today, my family took me to a wig store saying I wouldn't feel so insecure about being bald because of my chemo treatments. When I told them I accepted myself and didn't want a wig, they came out and told me THEY couldn't accept it. My own family is embarrassed of me over something I can't control. FML
I agree, your life sucks 102 217
You deserved it 4 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Comments

Maybe your family doesn't want to be reminded of how much pain you're going through because it's a painful reminder to them, but seriously-- it's your body, you make the rules as to what you want to do! PS: bald chicks are still hot! Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta is a prime example (: so hang in there.

Bumblebeeblooz 0

Omg, screw your family. Don't get a wig if you have the courage not to! Who cares about your fam. I say don't get a wig! Get better

nikki1001 0

Aw honey :( My mom has cancer right now as well and will be going for chemo soon. She's terrified of losing her hair. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of or feel bad about at all, and your family is pretty terrible for being embarrassed about it. Don't bother wearing a wig, it's their thing and they'll just have to live with it. If you're comfortable with it then who cares!!!

may_cause_fail 0

To be fair, baldness brought on by chemo is quite unnerving. But that doesn't excuse it. I guess at least they're trying to stand by you instead of just abandoning you because of what's happening to you? I'm sure it's hard on them, too. Even so, FYL. :( That was a harsh way of telling you about something you can't control.

evangldbrg 0

Wow, I've also gone through chemo treatments before, so I know how you feel. My family wanted me to wear a hat whenever I went out, but I told them I didn't feel comfortable with a hat on (wig wasn't an option), and I hated wearing it. It's a damn shame that yours (and mine) parents are more worried about your looks than your overall health and how you are comfortable with the situation.

Get the most outrageous ******* wig you can find, and good luck with your chemo!

yea **** ur family. if they're not there for u now u should totally just screw them

You should get a big rainbow afro wig ans see how they feel then.

I'm sorry your family said that to you. It is hard to see the constant reminder that your loved one is suffering but when my mother had cancer I never would have said that to her. I actually asked her if she wanted me to shave my head. Fortunately she said no but I would have if she wanted me to. My mom lost her battle but I hope you win yours. Good luck!

livelovelife01 0

**** the trolls trolling on something as horrible as cancer. Nice job accepting yourself, OP. Your hair will grow back in no time, no worries. :) Cancer is an insane disease. Not everyone wins against cancer, glad you did. My friend's mom wasn't so lucky. It's sad, but like 74 said, maybe your parents just don't want to be reminded that you had cancer. Anyways, good luck and feel better!