By Betrayed - 31/07/2009 09:35 - United States

Today, my family took me to a wig store saying I wouldn't feel so insecure about being bald because of my chemo treatments. When I told them I accepted myself and didn't want a wig, they came out and told me THEY couldn't accept it. My own family is embarrassed of me over something I can't control. FML
I agree, your life sucks 102 217
You deserved it 4 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
aiezaiza 0

In response to tinyding, go die somewhere.

I didn't realize you knew exactly how her family felt. Go take your disgusting attitude elsewhere, imbecile. If you didn't know, you don't just lose your hair went you go through chemo, you become very pale and your face looks rounder so whether she has a wig on or not, you'll still be able to tell for the most part. And even if it is because they don't like being reminded of the pain, too bad for them, they're not the one going through hell so they shouldn't be inconsiderate of her feelings, they're the one who should be sucking it up.

benderbang48 4

ew. dude you need help. I dint even know u and I can already say tht for u.

I know this is three years later, but you are ******* piece of shit. Do you know what it's like to have cancer? I do, you selfish ****.

xheathaax 3

You make me ******* sick guy. I hope you never go through something anything close to that. If you do I hope everyone tells you to cry about it and deal with it you piece of shit. Since you are so ******* inconsiderate, because who the hell gives you the right to say something. I seen a lot if people who want pity and I doubt she does. But she deserves all the pity in the world look what the hell she's going through. You officially posted the most disgusting comment I've ever seen.

danc501 1

The fact that you are so strong, is amazing to me. Wigs aren't so bad, especially for social events... My Aunt just got done with her cancer treatments a few months ago, and now her hair is growing back and it is coming back so curly and soft! Tell your family that you don't feel comfortable in a wig, because wigs are too hot and make heads overheat. Your hair will be back, and having no hair made the doctors make sure that you were getting enough chemo. Keep your head up!

fudgerz 0

don't wear the wig if you don't want to.. if they love you, your family will get over it. Stay strong :]

yep_fml 0

They're not embarrassed by you, they just see your hair loss as a physical reminder of your pain ~ cancer is hard on the entire family... I promise they're not embarrassed by you.

nam3 0

#1 you need to be put down you asshole

hazelwolfeyes 0

i hope you didnt get a wig. you are strong n dont let them make you do something you dont want too... family should accept you in any way shape or form... n even if it was the case where they didnt want to be reminded of the pain...im sorry...you cant exactly forget you have cancer with a removable hair piece...people are idiots... ^-^ your doing awesome...luck on your journey in life...

Good luck with chemo! Stay strong :) I think it's awesome of you to refuse a wig. It's like when people survive a giant car accident and have a giant scar, but keep it as a way to show what they've survived. Tell your family to f off.

(1) Get support from people you can talk to, including friends and family but also including someone who has been through and knows what you are going through. ... (99) Get a wig. Choosing a wig is something you'll want to do, but need not rush to do, as you will begin to feel self-conscious in public. That doesn't mean there is anything that is your fault, it is just that the wig gives you a break which, again, is something you'll appreciate more as your treatment progresses. If you are in the Northern VA / DC area, please write me at [email protected] and I will help you find the support group I and other young cancer survivors go to. If not, please try to find one in your local area, likely through a social worker who will meet with you at some time during your treatment. (This is how I found out about it; before that, I though social workers only helped the poor and those with trouble adjusting to everyday life.)

To #36, raybury; How F'g condesending to say you KNOW how she'll feel! What a DOUCHE! I hope you get horribly spammed for posting your Email address - you deserve it.

Um... I think he can have a decent guess at how she'll feel, given that he's a young cancer survivor. If you read his whole post. I don't think that's condescending at all, I think it's just reasonable advice.

Not always true. Yes, I did have a wig when I had cancer - both times. I wore it once. I hated it because it was hot, itchy, uncomfortable. I was never ashamed at how I looked. I was SICK, damn it. These are things that just happen. But then, I was lucky - I had friends that cared, and my parents encouraged me to do whatever felt good to me. OP: Do what feels right to you. Chemo makes you feel bad enough. You need to have as much comfort in your life as possible. Good luck to you. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

#37 youre my hero for being witty.... anyways... you most definately should accept yourself and if they can't deal with it you just keep going with your chin up !! i hope you survive this... may those assholes (including #1) go and **** a cheap ***** then get AIDS.

hey guys what did #1 say? OP I hope get well soon :)