By Betrayed - 31/07/2009 09:35 - United States

Today, my family took me to a wig store saying I wouldn't feel so insecure about being bald because of my chemo treatments. When I told them I accepted myself and didn't want a wig, they came out and told me THEY couldn't accept it. My own family is embarrassed of me over something I can't control. FML
I agree, your life sucks 102 217
You deserved it 4 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Comments

They're not embarrassed, it's painful to watch someone you love go through chemo, painful enough not to want to be reminded of it every time you look at them. But if wigless is the way you want to go they will soon get use to it, don't worry.

angiebby 0

**** your family, i would have no shame in you. i would show you off to the world if i could.

Whatevers_clever 0

What a bunch of jerks! My mom had cancer and still hasn't gotten her full set of hair. But we bought her about 3 of them already so she can style it and stuff lol

dancercuity922 0

You know what, If they feel that way then they're a bunch of assholes whose opinions aren't worth listening to. Good for you for having confidence in yourself during a tough time. Stay strong.

treehorse 0

thats disgusting. no family should ever say that. especially to some one who has been through alot like you have :(

To everyone who says her family just hates to feel helpless: I get your point, but still, **** them. I live with a disability my family can't deal with and they want me to hide it. It is an incredibly selfish thing for a family to ask. I understand it sucks to be helpless and it sucks even worse to be reminded of it, but still, which is the bigger priority-- how the family feels or how the person who faces 10x their stress and still has to fight, emotionally, physically, and mentally, every day feels? When illness enters a family, solidarity is the key; if the OP has to tell people every day what's wrong with her (which she'd probably have to do even with a wig), why shouldn't the family suck it up and do it with her?! If they can't deal they should find a support group or something, NOT pressure their family member into pretending everything's OK. That will just add more stress to the ill person, and stress like that can go straight to your health when your body's already ****** up.

hey poster keep strong :) and **** whatever society says, even if its your kin