By Betrayed - 31/07/2009 09:35 - United States

Today, my family took me to a wig store saying I wouldn't feel so insecure about being bald because of my chemo treatments. When I told them I accepted myself and didn't want a wig, they came out and told me THEY couldn't accept it. My own family is embarrassed of me over something I can't control. FML
I agree, your life sucks 102 217
You deserved it 4 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Comments

Shouldn't the FML be you having cancer?

I had cancer in my family, did you know it was hard on the family ? Yep, not as much as on you physically but mentally... Maybe seeing you bald make them suffer and they think they could forget a bit more if they didn't have that rubbed to their face all the time. They do know it's not your fault ! and your mum is prolly thinking it's her fault - if she believes in destiny, fate, karma or God. Yeah, moms are often like that when it's their kid. Try and not take it personnally, talk with them, tell them how it made you feel. And fight that bitch.

slabee123 0

all these people congratulating you for being so strong. none of them actually have cancer. alas, we are so misunderstood.

evangldbrg 0

I don't expect you to read every comment, but I posted that I too had cancer. And I had to go through the same experience. I just told my parents to let me go out bald or I wouldn't go out at all, because I'm not gonna do something that I don't want to do to make my parents happy, when I'm the one who is suffering the most to begin with.

@slabee123 don't generalize or assume. thanks

rustyrox 0

:( this is sad and shallow... I'm sorry I think that is brave and noble of you. Get the wig but you don't have to wear it ;) best of luck!

Ever think your family just doesn't want to have to explain to every single person that they meet that the reason their precious child/sibling is bald is because of cancer? I don't know about you, but it would kill me to constantly have to tell people someone I love has such a disease. Something tells me they didn't say that to you out of embarrassment, but over the fact that having to constantly see you in such a state is killing them constantly. Or they're just assholes.

I agree with some of you - who the **** says YDI for having cancer?

BigSky 5

I agree with Abner. Show your family how many strangers agree with you. I am so proud of your strength and fortitude. May God's love be with you.

Donthavekids 0

If your "god" loved them, they would't have cancer, now would they?

This is directed at donthavekids: Being a two time cancer survivor, and losing my dad to cancer... I feel that way often.

Illness is never punishment or a sign that God does not love you. If you don't want to believe in God then don't but don't knock people who do.

I never knock them. People are free to believe what they want to believe or what helps them. But that's what I believe. I wonder constantly where god was when I was sick. I still feel that way, because of all the side effects that getting cancer got me. I try to be positive, but sometimes, it's not so easy.

Life is life, it's never always positive or always negative. You just have to live it. And whether there is a God or not isnt the most important thing to worry about. Just do what makes you happy, be around those who love you, and don't give up on what you want. That's what is important. Because whether there is a God or not, we are all going to die, so we should all make our life exactly the way we want it, and just try to be happy and do what makes us happy.

growingsmaller 0

Coming from someone who's father had cancer, it's hard to see your family member's change so drastically, I can sympathize with your family but I would have never force my Dad to get a wig or tell him that I wanted him to. I hope you over come this and stay strong!

CJ090 0

Yo the assholes who put you deserved it: You are losers who have no life but to say something like that to a horrible thing as that BURN IN HELL