By Betrayed - 31/07/2009 09:35 - United States

Today, my family took me to a wig store saying I wouldn't feel so insecure about being bald because of my chemo treatments. When I told them I accepted myself and didn't want a wig, they came out and told me THEY couldn't accept it. My own family is embarrassed of me over something I can't control. FML
I agree, your life sucks 102 217
You deserved it 4 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Two things: First:congrats for your strenght and courage, half the healing process is a mental one, when you know you're gonna make it, you WILL make it! Keep fighting and it will be allright. Second, maybe what is embarrassing your family isn't your illness but the sheer fact that you're ill and that they can't to anything to help you. It's not something they can themselves battle against and it may hurt them a lot to see you without hair, a constant reminder that even if they are your family they can't protect you from everything.. I don't know how to say it in english but : Je t'envoie plein de bonnes ondes, courage!

Janelle561 0

She has cancer, and all you can comment is you just got owned by your family? Heartless much

Comments

tapoutORpassout 0

wow! the hell with them you dont need that shit! best of luck. thoughts and hopes for you to continue in the right direction.

Although you don't have to wear a wig, you should still wear something on your head when you go outside since the chemo makes your skin more sensitive to light.

fxdxhk90 0

I am sorry, your family is a group of ***** that really sucks. Anyhow, I hope everything works out , get well soon.

OMG FYL and screw your parents, what a bunch of assholes, how dare they!?! You can do what you feel is best for you and what you're most comfortable in. Reading this FML makes me feel outraged, enraged and everything in between. I hope your treatment is going well xx

not_that_effedup 0

Honey, I work with cancer patients every day, and I'm so happy for you that you feel comfortable with yourself. That's a hard thing for survivors to feel. Good luck, and hopefully your family just gets over it.

I understand them adjusting to the change, but that's beyond ****** up. Keep on going with your confidence.

Donthavekids 0

Cancer is just Natural Selection.

#59, you'll be next if you don't stfu.

#59. You are a moron. I have always been extremely fit in all ways, been a top student at school, etc, but still had two cancers. Cancer is completely out of one's control, and is caused, as far as I can tell, by the lives we lead in the modern world, because of the pollution and all the crap in the food. It is no surprise that there is much more cancer in North America than anywhere else in the world, that's where you find the most trans fat and other nocive chemicals, I believe. If it was only a matter of natural selection, then assholes like you should be the first ones to get cancer. I do so hate it when people like you are ever given a chance to reproduce.

Donthavekids 0

People can also have genetic characteristics that make them more susceptible to cancer, so if what you said is true, and you suffer from two different types of cancer, then YOU should be hating that your allowed to reproduce.

Cancer is caused by environmental and genetics that doesn't mean oh just because we have this disease and that illness that we should just bury our heads under the sand and stop living. If it was just a matter of natural selection then a lot of people would die out but there are so many factors concerning people's lives that you can't just say that and make someone feel bad about it too. 1 in 3 of us will get cancer. You are probably that "1" so shut up.

Donthavekids 0

"1 in 3 of us will get cancer. You will probably be that one so shut up." I'll let you know if i do. But knowing nothing about how you live or your genetic disposition, realize that that's just as likely you who will get cancer, with your 1 in 3 theory.

Yes but I wasn't the one insulting the OP, infact I probably will considering my genes. But then I didn't use cancer and natural selection to belittle people.

Donthavekids 0

I never insulted the op. I insulted one of the people who responded to me.

Mark266 should really go crawl under a rock and die. As for the OP, that sucks. Families are supposed to be supportive, not ashamed of a family member being ill.... F them.

Chemo sucks. I've lost all the hair on my body a few times over now...however, it's not their decision -- if you're comfortable going without a wig, then by all means, go for it.